Supports for Students at Centennial
We want all students to find success at Centennial and to that end have a number of resources available to support student learning.
- Learning Strategies: This is a locally developed course available for 5 credits at the 10, 11, and 12 grade level. This course teaches strategies to support student learning such as organization, test taking, note taking and study strategies. Students can work with their guidance counsellors to register in this course.
- Student Support Centre: The SSC is a safe, supportive learning space for students to either complete or enhance their current learning. This space is staffed with a teacher who can provide individual and small-group support for students who are struggling with particular concepts, or who are catching up on missed work. Students can access the space through teacher referral or self- referral via their guidance counsellor.
- Test Centre: The Test Centre runs throughout the year in the Learning Commons and in the SSC. Students who require accommodations such as extra time or use of technological support for test writing can work with their teacher to write in the Test Centre. Students who miss class exams can also work with their teacher to write their missed exam in the Test Centre.
- Iris: This is a Calgary Board of Education developed software to visualize learning targets and cycles for students and is a collaborative tool for students and teachers to use so that students meet learning outcomes. At Centennial, students will be utilizing Iris in collaboration with their teachers and families to set goals for the school year and develop strategies to best ensure success in their courses.
- Tutorial: offered daily for students to meet with teachers to seek extra help or get missed assessments/tasks.
‘YOTES Time Topics, Opportunities and Content
We will be utilizing a format, focus and intent for building relationship with students through ‘YOTES Time. The acronym ‘YOTES - Your Opportunities To Enhance Success – is intended to expose students to the many opportunities for success in and out of school. All students will be provided with information, presentations, career fairs, activities, et cetera to maximize the possibilities for all students. This is the role of the school and the ‘YOTES teachers: to provide as many opportunities as possible for students within a school year for successes to occur, to be engaged and enthusiastic.
Moreover, the successes are in many forms – academic, athletic, personal, social, work related, community – and are of both a commonly and personally defined nature. Student involvement in the processes and activities are essential for the development of their understandings and successes. This is the role of students and their families: to become involved, to engage in the opportunities and to participate fully all year. This means attending, being involved and sharing in every ‘YOTES Time occurrence.
Key to the inclusion of topics is the nature of the students in a particular ‘YOTES time group and the emerging needs of students at a grade level. Working as grade level teachers with the assigned Assistant Principal, teachers move back and forth between building a relationship with students and exposing students to ideas, materials and information that are opportunities for learning, growth and success. There will be many ‘homeroom like’ activities and events associated with ‘YOTES Time as a means of increasing communication and student involvement in the opportunities at Centennial. In
addition to materials and content already developed, created and included, there are both essential and potential materials which at this time include:
Grade 10: Successful Transition to Life in High School
Topic: Transition from Junior /Middle School Student to Successful High School Student
Topic: Transition from Being in High School to Being Highly Involved Part I
Grade 11: Success in High School
Topic: Transition from High School Student to Highly Successful Student Part I
Topic: Transition from Being in High School to Being Highly Involved Part II
Grade 12: Successful Transition to the Worlds Beyond High School
Topic: Transition from High School Student to Highly Successful Student Part II
Topic: Transition past Centennial and into Adult Relationships
‘YOTES time will occur every Friday (with some exceptions)
For all Centennial students and all teaching staff for 20 minutes between period 1 and 2 mid-morning Fridays.