Supports for Students at Centennial
We want all students to find success at Centennial and to that end have a number of resources available to support student learning.
- Learning Strategies: This is a locally developed course available for 5 credits at the 10, 11, and 12 grade level. This course teaches strategies to support student learning such as organization, test taking, note taking and study strategies. Students can work with their guidance counsellors to register in this course.
- Student Support Centre: The SSC is a safe, supportive learning space for students to either complete or enhance their current learning. This space is staffed with a teacher who can provide individual and small-group support for students who are struggling with particular concepts, or who are catching up on missed work. Students can access the space through teacher referral or self- referral via their guidance counsellor.
- Test Centre: The Test Centre runs throughout the year in the Learning Commons and in the SSC. Students who require accommodations such as extra time or use of technological support for test writing can work with their teacher to write in the Test Centre. Students who miss class exams can also work with their teacher to write their missed exam in the Test Centre.
- Iris: This is a Calgary Board of Education developed software to visualize learning targets and cycles for students and is a collaborative tool for students and teachers to use so that students meet learning outcomes. At Centennial, students will be utilizing Iris in collaboration with their teachers and families to set goals for the school year and develop strategies to best ensure success in their courses.
- Tutorial: offered daily (Mon-Thurs) from 8:40am-9:10am for students to meet with teachers to seek extra help or get missed assessments/tasks.