Below is a list of resources that students may find helpful:
Alberta My Pass
Calgary Board of Education
CBE Online Library Catalog
CBE Dashboard - Quick Links
Passwords are required for home use and are available from the Learning Commons Front Desk.
Students have direct access from workstations in the schools.
Online Reference Centre
The listed databases are commonly used at High School
- Academic One File - source for peer-reviewed, full-text articles for academic libraries from the world's leading journals.
- Britannica ImageQuest - million+ copyright friendly images. Download, cite and manipulate with ease.
- Britannica School - read aloud; translations; copyright friendly images; suggested web sites; cross referenced articles in Britannica; built in citation information
- Canadian Encyclopedia – bilingual online encyclopedia focusing on Canada
- Curriculum Video on Demand - access to full length videos related to curriculum. Full transcripts with read-aloud and text translation features included for every video
- Early Canadiana Online - providing access to over 1,330,000 pages of Canada's printed heritage.
- Global Issues in Context - use this database for locating critical analysis related to many topics
- Indigenous Atlas of Canada - bilingual resource created by The Royal Canadian Geographical Society contains contemporary and historical photography and maps
- Teen Health and Wellness - Information about diseases, drugs and alcohol, eating disorders, green living, grief and loss, mental health, sexuality and sexual health, nutrition and fitness and more.
- World History in Context - Contains reference, academic journals, images, news, magazines, videos, audio – use the advanced search feature
This tab allows you to search by Curriculum topic, grade level, audience and type of resource including video clips.
Calgary Public Library
Students can access CPL databases with their entire email address as our Library Card Number. Student Log In:
Library Card Number : Entire email address
PIN : 1234567
This information is available from the Learning Commons Front Desk if needed.
Students are strongly encouraged to get a library card to access both physical and digital resources. https://reg.calgarylibrary.ca/
Access available under Students -Teens or select Digital Library located from the menu
Commonly used Research Resources:
- World Book Advanced - In-depth research tool includes encyclopedia information, multimedia databases, primary sources, and website links.
- Literary Reference Center – select from a variety of resources including Reference books, magazines, literary criticism, biographies; citation support; select full text when searching
- MasterFile Complete – Found under Do Some Research - Full-text magazine articles covering all subject areas, plus newspapers, reference books and more
- Solaro - Follows the AB Curriculum providing access to the same information found in The Key study guides. To set up select Alberta as your region and your grade. Creates access to curriculum related content, pre and post tests, and has the ability to create online flashcards and study guide.
Personal Digital Reading resources: (Will require a CPL library card)
- Overdrive – Access to e-books and audio book titles
- Teen Bookcloud – E-books and audiobook titles for teens
- Flipster – Access to news and current magazines
- RB Digital – Contains magazines and audiobooks
- PressReader – Worldly magazines and newspapers
Folger Shakespeare Library
Forensic Science Technician- 100 Best Sites for Science
Canadian Museum of History
Canadian Museum of Human Rights
Library and Archives of Canada
World Digital Library
Rosetta Stone – online interactive language courses from CPL
Berlin Philharmoniker Digital Concert Hall – currently offering free concerts streamed from their archives. Create a free account to access.
Canadian Student Leadership Association
Alberta Health Services – Teen Health
Canada.ca – Youth Health