Absences During Tests or Final Examinations
As per Alberta Education examination policy;
“A student may only be excused from tests or examinations for reasons of illness or emergencies such as death in the family. During the school year if a student is repeatedly absent on test days, he or she may be required to provide a doctor's certificate. A doctor's certificate is required for any missed final examination. While parents can excuse students
from attendance for illness, parents cannot excuse them for a student`s commitment to completing the basic requirements of Alberta Education. Vacations and other personal reasons are not legitimate excuses for missing exams.”
Central Memorial – EXAM INFORMATION/RULES for STUDENTS
Before the Exam
- Students are responsible to check the date, time and location of their exams.
- Students need to check Calgary Transit route times during exams.
- Students should arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the start of the exam.
- Specific writing locations will be listed on a bulletin board in the foyer. Check your location when you arrive.
- Textbooks need to be returned to the book room upstairs before your exams.
- All students are required to have PHOTO- ID. For example, a Central Memorial Student Card or Driver’s license.
- Students who arrive more than 1 hour after the start of the exam will not be permitted to enter the exam room.
- Students cannot leave the exam room until 1 hour after the start of the exam.
During the Exam
Absolutely no electronic devices other than approved calculators are allowed on your person during the exam. No smart phones, tablets, earbuds, smart watches, etc. If you still have any devices with you – bring them to the front of the testing area and ensure that they are turned off. Students found with a device on their personal devices will receive a zero score on the exam.
Keep your eyes to yourself
Sit facing forward in your desk and do not look to the sides. Allowing or aiding someone to copy or cheat from you will be considered academic dishonesty and may result in a zero score.
Bags, hats and clothing
Ensure that all backpacks are left in the designated areas. No hats, toques, hoods, etc. are to be worn during the exam.
Notes, prep materials, textbooks, etc.
No prepared notes of any kind are permitted in the exam area.
No textbooks of any kind are allowed during the exam.
You may use a dictionary or thesaurus for the ELA and Social Studies Part A – Written exams. However, there can be no notes in these books. All exam materials including scrap paper must be left in the exam room when finished.
Ensure all calculators are cleared of memory before and/or after the exam according to the policies of the course. Teachers will be available to provide assistance in clearing your calculators and will ensure you reset to appropriate settings where applicable. Calculators must comply with Alberta Education’s Rules for Math and Science exams: https://www.alberta.ca/assets/...