First Day of Classes
As per our staggered entry plan, the days of classes at Chaparral School are Tuesday, Sept. 1, and Wednesday, Sept. 2. School staff will be on the playground in designated areas to meet students, parents/guardians, and other caregivers.
Kindergarten classes begin on Tuesday, Sept. 1 and Wednesday, Sept. 2, 2020. On Friday September 4th, the AM/PM kindergarten rotation will be in effect, with AM classes only attending.
Please watch for an email from your Kindergarten teacher explaining which day your child will attend. Kindergarten children will use the garden doors.
School Start & End Times
Starting on September 3rd, a soft entry and slightly staggered PM dismissal will be implemented. Soft entry sees students coming straight into school upon arrival, rather than waiting outside in line ups. Students will use their assigned doors for this purpose.
Our bell times are as follows:
Monday - Thursday
- Morning 8:40 AM – 12:05 AM
- Recess flexible by cohort.
- Lunch 12:05 PM – 12:55 PM
- Afternoon 12:55 PM – 3:20 PM
- Early Dismissal – 8:40 AM - 12:50 AM
- Recess flexible by cohort
Monday - Thursday
- AM Class 8:40 AM – 11:30 AM
- PM Class 12:30 PM – 3:20 PM
- Early Dismissal – 8:40 AM - 12:50 PM
- Includes Snack Time
- No Lunch Break
K-6 Staggered Entry Plan
To support a re-entry, where new routines and ways of being need to be introduced and practiced in a calm and sensitive manner, we are implementing a Kindergarten through Grade 6 Staggered Entry Plan. This plan sees approximately half our students attending school on Tuesday, and the second half attending on Wednesday. By Thursday, all students K-6 will attend together. On Friday all students Grades 1-6 will attend together along with all our A.M. kindergarten children. These days will follow regular school hours including noon supervision will for those who stay at school for lunch.
While we understand that this plan might require extra childcare arrangements, we are confident that it will allow for a safer, calmer, more welcoming return for our students and teachers.
Please remember that there is no school for PM Kindergarten students on Friday September 4th. AM and PM Kindergarten children attend on alternate Fridays over the course of the year. Friday Kindergarten attendance dates will be added to the school calendar and communicated by Kindergarten teachers.
On the first two days of school, our intention is for teachers to meet their smaller groups of students outside and then usher them into the school building.
Starting on September 3rd, a soft entry and slightly staggered PM dismissal will be implemented. Soft entry sees students coming straight into school upon arrival, rather than waiting outside in line ups. Students will use their assigned doors for this purpose. More information on this practice will be shared in Friday’s email.
Tues. Sept. 1
- Students Grade 1-6 with last name A-L ONLY will attend 8:40 a.m. – 3:20 p.m.
- Kindergarten children AM with last names A-L will attend 8:40 – 11:30 a.m.
- Kindergarten children PM with last names A-L will attend 12:30 – 3:20 p.m.
Wed. Sept. 2
- Students with last name M-Z ONLY will attend 8:40 a.m. – 3:20 p.m
- Kindergarten children AM with last names M-Z will attend 8:40 – 11:30 a.m.
- Kindergarten children PM with last names M-Z will attend 12:30 – 3:20 p.m.
Thurs. Sept. 3
- ALL students attend 8:40 a.m. – 3:20 p.m. AM soft entry and PM staggered dismissal will be in place.
- Kindergarten children AM attend 8:40 – 11:30 a.m. AM soft entry and PM staggered dismissal will be in place.
- Kindergarten children PM will attend 12:30 – 3:20 p.m.
Fri. Sept, 4
- ALL Grades 1-6 students attend 8:40 a.m. until 12:50 p.m.
- All students AM Kindergarten students attend 8:40 a.m. until 12:50 p.m.
- AM soft entry and PM staggered dismissal will be in place.
Entry and Exit Doors
To support contact tracing, and reduce possible exposure, ALL students are required to enter and exit through their designated doors.
PLEASE see attached map for designated door information.
Drop off: Walking, riding, driving/parking
There is very limited parking around the school. If you plan to drive your child(ren) to school, please consider parking 1-3 blocks away from the school. The curbside in front of the school on Chaparral Drive is a dedicated bus zone and kiss and drive zone. The residences across the street from the school feature large driveways that make parking very difficult. It is extremely important that we respect the homeowners by NOT blocking their driveways. Chapalina Close also becomes a busy spot for drop off. Again, this is a kiss and drive zone, meaning curbside parking should not exceed 2 minutes.
Students using bikes and scooters will notice markers reminding them to physically distance as they park and lock. We have added an additional bike rack on the west side of the school to help accommodate the need for distancing while parking and locking.
Parents/guardians must remain outside of the school to drop of their children. They must not enter the school during high traffic times unless approved by the principal.
Unfortunately, we are not able to provide Safety Patrol services at this point. Adult supervisors will however monitor for safe crossing.
School Supply Lists
Most of the supplies required by students in K-6 are provided by the school. Students will need the following personal items:
- Snack (please try to send low to no garbage snacks)
- Lunch (please remember to include utensils such as spoons and forks)
- Water bottle
- Back pack
- Indoor shoes appropriate for Physical Education (i.e., running shoes that fit well and stay on the child’s feet).
***Please label all belongings with first name and last initial.
We are a school that follows the traditional calendar. View our calendar page for events and dates.
For system calendars, please visit: http://www.cbe.ab.ca/registration/calendars
Noon supervision will be available on the first day of school. The noon break runs from 12:05 – 12:55 PM. Students will eat lunch in their classrooms. Please avoid sending any food items that contain nuts or nut products. Please also avoid sending food that requires heating, and remember to pack appropriate utensils.
In alignment with CBE Administrative Regulation AR – 6005 Student Code of Conduct, students are expected to demonstrate the same commitment to good citizenship as they do throughout their school day.
Please check your email inbox on August 31, for a message from your child’s new teacher. In addition to introducing themselves to you, the teacher’s message will communicate important information about where you and your child can meet them on the first day of school.
Please visit our How to Register page for all registration details and registration forms.
Our school office opens on Thursday, Aug. 27, 2020 for registration.