Parents & Volunteers
At Chinook Park it is our desire to maintain the security of our building and to create a warm and caring atmosphere for everyone in our school community. In order to do so, we ask parents to respect the following guidelines:
- Parents/visitors will be asked to ring the buzzer after 8:00 AM in order to gain access to the building
- All parents and visitors must always check in at the office whenever they come into the school. We need to know who is here at all times. This is a Calgary Board of Education requirement.
- Drop off and pick up your children outside their entry and exit doors. This not only helps with security; it also helps children to build independence and to minimize distractions during class time.
- If your child is late, you are welcome to come to the office to sign them in. As soon as they have their late slip, we ask that they head down to their class on their own.
- If you need to bring something to school for your child during the day (i.e. a forgotten lunch or homework), please drop it off at the office and we will deliver it to the classroom for you.
- If you would like a more formal meeting with your child’s teacher, it is a good idea to set up an appointment to make sure the teacher is available.
Supervision is provided outside from 7:45 – 8:00 AM, at recess and at lunch. There is no supervision before 7:45 AM or after school. If children use the playground during that time, parents are responsible for supervision.
Students should not arrive to school earlier than 8:00 AM unless they are in Adventurers Before/After Care. It is expected that students will leave the school grounds promptly after the bell at 11:40 AM (for those who go home for lunch) and at 2:55 PM. when school ends for their safety. There is NO supervision provided after school. If students stay to play on school grounds after hours, they must be supervised by an adult.
For security reasons, all doors are locked when school is in session. The doors at the main entrance remain open all day, however to ensure security we ask all visitors and parents to sign in at the office and wait for their child to be called down. Parents should not be walking around the school unless they are volunteering. The east door is opened for students during recess and the lunch hour.
Arrival & Dismissal Procedures
Please follow all safety & traffic regulations when dropping off your child and stay outside the school in the morning. All students should go directly to areas that are supervised.
If your child is to go home with another student or adult, permission to do so must be clearly written in the agenda. For Grade 5/6 students, please send a note to school with your child.