Volunteer with Us
We welcome volunteers in the classroom, on field trips and with certain tasks at school or at home. Certain activities or field trips would not be possible without the active participation of our volunteers. Contact us about ways you can volunteer with our school.
(Please note, guest speakers or visitors to the school, and parents/guardians assisting their own child only are not considered to be volunteers and do not require a police information check.)
Volunteer Security Clearance Process
Step 1: Prospective volunteers must first register as a volunteer at the school office where you plan on volunteering. School administrators will verify your identity and register you in the CBE volunteer database. The school office will provide you with a letter enabling you to obtain a police information check from the Calgary Police Service (CPS).
Please note, prospective volunteers must reside in Canada for a full year before registering. Police clearances from countries other than Canada are not accepted.
Step 2: Visit the CPS online system, electronic Police Information Check (ePIC), to obtain your police check using your CBE volunteer letter.
If you are unable to complete the process online, you may visit a police information check location instead.
Step 3: Once you have received your clearance document from CPS you will need to share it with the school in-person or by email.
Your security clearance is valid for five years and the cost is $21.25 ($15.00 for police clearance and 5.95+GST service fee) which is charged during the online ePIC application. This fee is not covered by the CBE.
Volunteering for an Off-Site Activity
If you want to volunteer for an off-site activity, please keep in mind:
- Volunteers on an activity are considered representatives of the Calgary Board of Education and are subject to the same expectations as staff
- Volunteers are subject to the requirements of CBE Administrative Regulation 5003 – Volunteers, which includes an application and a police security screening check
- Volunteers are covered by the CBE’s liability insurance policy while performing their assigned duties
- Volunteers are covered by WCB while performing their duties
- Volunteers receive direction from and are accountable to the teacher-in-charge