Traffic Do's & Don'ts
- Please do not drive into the staff parking lot to drop children off. Not only is this a safety issue but it is also in violation of CBE regulations
- For safe drop off, park in a visitor stall and walk on the sidewalk, with the child(ren) to the door
- You may also use the designated drop off zone on 24th Street
- Please observe the “no parking” signs in the school bus zone
- Please do not leave your car idling for extended periods of time
We see many students walking, biking, and riding their scooters and skateboards to Colonel Walker School; however, we have some challenges with high traffic in our neighbourhood. In the past, there have been accidents involving our students while crossing the street on their way to school. As a result, we would like to share some reminders to help everyone have a safe trip to school
- Pedestrians must look both ways before crossing a street, alleyway or driveway. This holds true even when crossing the street at traffic lights. Keep an eye out for vehicles turning into the crosswalk.
- Do not jaywalk. Teach children not to enter the street from between parked cars.
- Children on bikes should be taught to dismount before crossing the street.
- Bikes, scooters and skateboards do not have the right of way on sidewalks. Sometimes it may be necessary to slow down or dismount to safely pass pedestrians.
- Several safety organizations recommend that children should not travel to school by themselves until at least age 9. Prior to this age many children are unable to judge the speed of an approaching vehicle or cross the street safely. Young children have a field of vision that is one third smaller than that of an adult and will need to take extra care when checking before crossing the street.
Please take the time to go over some basic safety rules with your children.
Student Pick Up
Upon dismissal, kindergarten students will be picked up at the main entry door beside the office. For all other grades, please arrange a meeting place in the lower vestibule or outside of the school for dismissal times. Students, (K-6) enter through Door A on the compound. Grades 1-6 always exit through Door A.
Parking Around Schools: Photo Enforcement
Calgary Parking Authority is helping to make school areas safer for our students and school communities. Here’s what you should know.
- The Calgary Parking Authority is now using photo enforcement in addition to Enforcement Officers in school
- areas, so tickets may be received in the mail or placed on vehicles that are in violation of parking regulations.
- You must follow posted signage, even if you remain in your vehicle.
Parking responsibly around schools is very important for the safety of the students attending these schools and members of the community.
TIPS: Avoid Parking Fines
- Stay back at least 1.5 metres from entrances to garages or driveways
- Watch for “No stopping” and “No parking zones
- Keep school bus zones clear
- Leave five metres between your car and cross walks
- Park at least five metres from stop signs, yield signs or intersections
View poster under Resources.