We are committed to engaging students in the learning process and our goal is to personalize learning for every student. Students at Connaught School achieve academic success, build strong character, develop citizenship and enhance their personal growth and development.
Parents are our partners and we value the home/school relationships created through positive interactions and communication. With your help and support, our students will succeed.
History of Connaught School
Connaught School is one of the original sandstone buildings in Calgary. Construction of the school was completed in 1911 at a cost of $98,000 plus $18,000 for plumbing and heating. The doors of the school were opened 102 years ago to
accommodate the increasing population of the Beltline area. Our school was named in honour of the Duke of Connaught, the son of Queen Victoria and then Governor General of Canada. The Duke and Duchess were in Calgary in 1912 to open the Calgary Exhibition & Stampede. In 1914, the Duke accepted an album containing a view of the school sent by Mr. R.B. Bennett, who later became Prime Minister of Canada. The Duke, in reply, presented the school with portraits of himself and the Duchess that are still on display in the school.
In 1920, four new classrooms were added to the auditorium that was located on the third floor. Junior High, which included Grades 7, 8 & 9, began in the mid 1930s. More space was needed for physical education so a new gymnasium was added in July 1952.
In June, 2007 Connaught students and staff were relocated to Kingsland School while our downtown location was renovated. The revitalized Connaught School opened for students in August 2009. The renovation and addition of the atrium and full size gymnasium were completed in 2009 at the cost of $18 million.