Volunteer with Us
There are many opportunities to volunteer in the school such as in classrooms, field trips, School Council & school events.
Before volunteering, all volunteers must:
- Complete the Annual Volunteer Registration Form (see the link to the right of this webpage)
- Obtain a Police Security Clearance (good for 5 years): *You will need to call the School Office to schedule an appointment to provide a government issued photo ID to begin the process.
- Review the Coventry Hills School Volunteer Orientation Presentation (one time only) and mark your attendance using the form at the end of the presentation.
- All volunteers at Coventry Hills School are required to review the online Volunteer Orientation Presentation before volunteering in the school. This is a one-time requirement. This presentation is posted on the right of this webpage (title: Volunteer Orientation Presentation). If you would like to volunteer, please be sure to have reviewed the presentation and confirm that you understand the information by completing the Microsoft Form within the presentation.
We're also looking for volunteers Thursday December 9, 2021 to help hand out Subway Fun Lunch orders.
All volunteers must be CBE cleared, provide vaccination status declaration or rapid testing results plus clear all Covid- 19 protocols to help out.
If you are unsure about whether you are cleared please check with the school support staff (403)777-6025.
If you are available to lend a helping hand please click the link below.
While COVID-19 Measures are in Place
In-person visitors and volunteers will be allowed in CBE schools only if they are scheduled in advance at this time. This includes guest speakers, sports-team coaches and artists in residence. Individuals are encouraged to communicate with the school through email or by phone.
Please visit our COVID-19 page for the most up-to-date information. Our plan is subject to change throughout the school year as more information becomes available.
We welcome volunteers in the classroom, on field trips and with certain tasks at school or at home. Certain activities or field trips would not be possible without the active participation of our volunteers. Contact us about ways you can volunteer with our school.
Visit the CBE website for more information on volunteering, including the required registration and Police Information Check. (Please note, guest speakers or visitors to the school, and parents/guardians assisting their own child only are not considered to be volunteers and do not require a police information check.)
Volunteering for an Off-Site Activity
If you want to volunteer for an off-site activity, please keep in mind:
- Volunteers on an activity are considered representatives of the Calgary Board of Education and are subject to the same expectations as staff
- Volunteers are subject to the requirements of CBE Administrative Regulation 5003 – Volunteers, which includes an application and a police security screening check
- Volunteers are covered by the CBE’s liability insurance policy while performing their assigned duties
- Volunteers are covered by WCB while performing their duties
- Volunteers receive direction from and are accountable to the teacher-in-charge
Volunteer Registration Process
Volunteering and “Parents as Partners” is alive and strong at Coventry Hills School!
For security reasons, all volunteers and visitors must sign in at the office before going into the school. This process helps us know where you are in case of an emergency and allows staff and students to know you have signed in with the office staff by wearing your volunteer/visitor badge. All volunteers must comply with the CBE’s Volunteer Registration process.
- Please come in to the school with your driver’s license or Alberta Health Care Card so we can assist you with beginning the process.
- We will then provide you with a letter you will need to apply with the Calgary Police Service using this link: https://policeinformationcheck.calgarypolice.ca.
- This clearance is required prior to volunteering in the school, even if you have had a criminal check/clearance with another organization.
Parent Volunteer Program Goals
- to assist in providing an effective learning environment for our students
- to meaningfully involve the community in the education process
- to utilize the unique talents and areas of interest of our school community
- to provide children with the experience of working with adults other than school staff
- to assist teachers with non-instructional tasks
The following code of ethics shall apply to all volunteers of Coventry Hills School:
- The volunteer must be discreet. It is essential that a volunteer refrain from discussing parents, children, or school staff.
- The volunteer works in the school at the invitation of the professional staff or the office.
- The volunteer is to respect the professional role and judgment of the teacher.
- The volunteer should refer any discipline problems to the teacher in charge.
- Once a parent has agreed on a time commitment, efforts should be made to attend regularly. The designated staff member should be informed ahead of time of any necessary absence.
- When clarification is needed, volunteers are expected to consult with teachers.