Cook Apprentice Program
There are two paths to becoming a journeyman cook. The CT Centre can help students determine a culinary path best suited to their career goals. Students will have opportunities to connect with SAIT throughout the school year and see how they can best transition in to the post-secondary world.
Preferred Seating at SAIT
- Complete minimum of 9 credits in Cook Apprentice (as designated by SAIT) with 70%
- Teacher & Administrative letters of support
- Career investigation completed by student
- Students would be entering the Professional Cooking Diploma program of studies
- Applications due the January before they intend to attend SAIT as a full time student. This means second semester students cannot participate in the preferred seating program.
- Compete 15 required credits with 70% as designated by Alberta Apprenticeship Board
- Including; Food Safe certification, CPR/First Aid certification (must complete separately)
- Students would enter 2nd period training at SAIT if successful with first term apprentice exam
- Students are required to write the first period exam at Apprenticeship office
- Students are still required to earn hours in their Blue Book to complete first term requirements
Work Experience Program
The CTC Culinary program is the perfect environment for Work Experience students to get on the job training in the hospitality sector. Food created in the culinary suite is sold through the CTC Café, Central cafeteria and internal catering. Students do not need to be enrolled in the culinary program to create a work experience opportunity.