Late French Immersion at David Thompson
The Late French Immersion Program provides students with the opportunity to become highly functional in speaking, reading, writing, listening and communicating in French by the end of Grade 12. It is a program in which French is the language of instruction, beginning in Grade 7 and continuing through Grade 12. It is designed for students whose first language is not French so no prior French is required. Social Studies, Math, Science and French Language Arts are taught in French in Grades 7, 8 and 9. High school offers Social Studies, Math and French Language Arts in French. This is the final opportunity to enter a French Immersion program prior to post-secondary education. If your child is currently in grade 6 and you live in our attendance area (south of Glenmore Trail and east of Macleod Trail), you are eligible to register.
Some of the advantages of enrolling in French immersion include:
- Increases cognitive ability and critical thinking skill (Your memory improves, your decision-making skills improve, increased attention, etc)
- Develops learning and listening skills
- Improves skills in your first language
- Gives you skills for future language learning (After learning one, it’s 1000x easier to learn another)
- It boosts your creativity and your self-confidence
- Opens doors to the future (jobs, education, travel)
If you are interested, we encourage you to attend our virtual open house on February 16 at 6:30pm using this link. If you miss it, please do not hesitate to contact us. To register, complete the Alternative Program Expression of Interest form found on this page and email the completed form to email@example.com by MARCH 18, 2022.
Did you miss our open house? Click on the PowerPoint on this page to get an overview of what we are all about.
If you are looking for more information on the grade 7 Late French Immersion program, click on the news item on our main page. If you need more information, please do not hesitate to email our Assistant Principal, Mrs. Isabelle Korpela or call 403-777-7470.