Outreach Programs are community-based high schools for young people who, due to particular personal and/or family situations, experience obstacles in their educational pursuits. In the academic stream, youth embark on self-directed, personalized learning.
Discovering Choices works in partnership with other organizations to complement / supplement a holistic approach in supporting young people who face life’s numerous challenges. Some of the partnerships we work closely with include the Alex, Alberta Health Services, United Way, Youth Justice, Youth Central, Integro, Cenovus, the Food Bank and Brown Bag.
There are four locations:
Our motto is: "Provideo sperare" from the latin phrase meaning Providing Hope
“To provide an alternative educational program that provides personalized educational as well as social and emotional supports to our students.”
Discovering Choices is committed to providing a safe, nurturing and encouraging educational milieu that keeps students connected to their present and future learning needs. We work with our allied agencies to provide students a “holistic” approach to learning. We support students to gain the competencies that will help them acquire a love of learning and become responsible, contributing, and caring members of society.
- A shared sense of ownership of learning involves the student, caregivers, school, and community, and is necessary to build a positive foundation for learning and health.
- Learning takes place best within a nurturing and trusting environment that fosters rapport among teachers, students, and the students supports.
- All individuals have an inherent value and are worthy of our unconditional positive regard
- All individuals are capable of lifelong learning.
- All learners are unique and in diversity is strength
- All individuals are entitled to quality learning experiences.