Student Rights & Responsibilities
Students shall be treated with dignity, respect, and fairness by other students and staff. Students shall be provided with a learning environment that is free from any type of abuse such as: physical, emotional, and social abuse.
Students and parents shall be informed of the board’s and school’s expectations for student behaviour within the school, the school grounds, and during school activities.
In the event of student misbehaviour, students and parents shall have the right to offer an explanation, and to be informed about consequences of misbehaviour.
Students shall exercise their responsibilities to:
- Use their abilities and talents to gain maximum learning benefits from their school experiences, and participate in their learning
- Contribute to a climate of mutual trust and respect conducive to effective learning, personal development, and school community
- Report threat or risk related behaviours to school staff
- Attend school regularly and punctually; and dress appropriately
Students shall be responsible and accountable for their behaviour and conduct:
- While involved in school-sponsored or related activities
- While on school property
- During any recess or lunch periods on or off school property
- While traveling to and from school
- In vehicles used for the transportation of students to and from school and school activities
- While engaging in electronic communication both on and off school property
- Beyond the hours of school operation if the behaviour or conduct detrimentally affects the welfare of individual students or the governance, climate, or efficiency of the school(s).