Our School’s Three Pillars of Care
At Douglas Harkness School we believe that we must respect the needs of the individual while at the same time supporting the needs of our entire school community. Our students are expected to be respectful, kind and supportive of each other. This is a school philosophy that all students and staff live each day.
In meeting the needs of individual students, school expectations emphasize socially responsible behaviour that demonstrates respect for the rights and well-being of others, property and self. Discussions with students will center on the three pillars.
1. Take Care of Yourself
- Be punctual for classes and attend school regularly.
- Be organized and return notices promptly.
- Be accountable for absences and tardiness as required by our school.
- Be clean and tidy, both in personal care and dress.
- Be prepared for engaging in studies.
- Be responsible and use appropriate language in school, on the playground and on field trips.
2. Take Care of Others
- Be kind and courteous to classmates.
- Tell an adult when you see an injury or witness verbal or physical attacks.
- Be responsible for maintaining a non-threatening, non-violent environment.
- Be respectful to all school staff, adults and visitors.
3. Take Care of Our Place
- Be respectful of public property, community and personal property.
- Place litter in the garbage cans by the school doors.
- Be responsible for the payment or replacement of school property that has been lost or damaged.
- Remove wet and dirty footwear.
- Reduce daily waste by bringing lunches and snacks in recyclable containers.