To prepare, through the development of knowledge, skills, attitudes and responsibility, graduates who are self-confident, lifelong learners capable of enhancing their lives and the quality of our world.
Dr. E.P. Scarlett is a caring learning community where we are
- encouraged to appreciate and respect the qualities of each other,
- challenged to develop our unique talents and abilities,
- valued for our contribution to creating a hopeful future.
Dr. E. P. Scarlett: The Man
Dr. Earle Parkhill Scarlett was a Calgary physician, educator, scholar and writer. Not a native Albertan, Dr. Scarlett came originally from High Bluff, Manitoba. Born June 27, 1896, he was educated in Winnipeg and graduated from the University of Manitoba and then the University of Toronto where he received his medical degree. In 1930 he came to Calgary with his new wife, Jean, and began his practice in internal medicine with the Associate Clinic.
Dr. Scarlett was highly recognized in his profession. He was a Fellow of both the Royal College of Physicians of Canada and the American College of Physicians. He received honorary doctorates and degrees all through his lifetime and held positions in a great number of professional associations as well as educational and public associations all benefiting people in need, the culture of Calgary, or the improvement of society. For example, he was the Chancellor of the University of Alberta, Chairman of the Regional Advisory Board, a member of the Calgary Library Board and enjoyed lengthy associations with the Canadian and American Heart Associations and the Salvation Army.
In addition to his medical career, Dr. Scarlett combined his love for literature and libraries by writing for publications such as the Archives of Internal Medicine. He was the founder and editor of the University of Toronto Medical Journal, wrote over 450 articles for various publications, and published a book titled In Sickness and in Health – Reflections on the Medical Profession. Dr. E. P. Scarlett was a great humanitarian whose contributions to the medical, educational and cultural life of Alberta make us proud that our school, which opened in the fall of 1970, bears his name.