General Start-up Information
Please note that the information below is subject to change based on potential restrictions in place at the time by Alberta Education and the Calgary Board of Education. We will update this page as needed over the summer.
Please visit our How to Register page for all registration details. Families who are moving into our community over the summer and not yet registered can call the office beginning August 9, 2021. Please visit the High School Registration webpage for further instructions on how to register during a public health emergency.
Office Hours for general inquiries and information about new registrations at Dr. E.P. Scarlett for 2021-2022
Monday, August 9 – Thursday, August 12 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Monday, August 16 – Thursday, August 19 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Monday, August 23 - Thursday, August 26 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Regular Office Hours resume on Friday, August 27, 2021.
First Day of Classes
Our first day of classes is scheduled for September 1, 2021. We will be having a staggered entry as follows:
- All students, please ensure that you have a copy of your timetable upon arriving.
- Grade 10 Students - Arrive at school at 8:55 AM through the Main entrance and participate in Orientation Day Activities from 8:55 AM to 11:55 AM. Grade 10 students will be dismissed for the day at 12:00 PM. Please arrange for transportation.
- Grade 11 and 12 Students - Arrive at school at 12:30 PM, to meet with homeroom outside and proceed to their homeroom from 12:45 PM to 1:00 PM
- Grade 10 will participate in a mini-timetable in the AM and grade 11 and 12 will participate in a mini-timetable in PM. Dismissal at 3:30 PM.
- Calgary Transit will be available at 3:30 PM from the school.
- Our regular bell schedule begins on Thursday, September 2nd, 2021. Beginning with Period 2 , as a Thursday schedule starts.
Our 2021-2022 Bell Schedule is posted as on attachment on the right hand side of this page and on the Contact Us page.
Students that are wishing to have a locker for the 2021-2022 school year need to fill out the online Locker Request Form. The school will issue locker locations and locker combinations to the email that is used to complete the form.
Timetable Change Requests
There was an opportunity to make changes to course requests in the spring of 2021. This is to ensure that a master timetable can be built to best accommodate students’ course requests. Timetables will be available in PowerSchool in late August. At this time, many classes are full and it will be challenging to make changes.
Course change requests at this time of the year will be limited to the following needs:
- No pre-requisite for a scheduled course
- Missing a required core course for diploma/certificate requirements
- Unbalanced timetable (ex. 4 cores in one semester and 2 cores in the other)
- Changes required due to summer school results
- Change an academic stream (20-1 to 20-2; Physics 30 to Science 30)
- “See Guidance” on timetable
Note: We are unable to accommodate requests for specific teachers or to place a course in a specific period or semester. As well, some students may now have their 4 or 5 option choice if one of their preferred options could not be scheduled.
Students who meet the above criteria for a course change may complete the Microsoft Form below. This form will be live on August 23 and close on August 30.
Course Change Request Form
Student Parking at Dr. E.P. Scarlett is limited. Students wishing to drive to school and park in the school lot need to apply for a parking pass. Should the number of applicants exceed the number of available spaces in the parking lot, a lottery will be used. Students wishing to apply for a parking pass need to fill out the 2021-2022 Parking Pass Application (please see the right hand side of this page) and drop it off at the Main Office by the end of the day on September 8, 2021.
Textbooks will be available during the first few days of classes. Students will be taken down to the Learning Commons during their classes to pick up text books. Please note that students will require their Student Identification to sign out text books and students that have outstanding fees or books from previous school years may not be able to sign out text books.
We are hoping that we will be able to run a full complement of Athletic programming beginning in the fall of 2021. We encourage you to visit Dr. E.P. Scarlett High School’s Athletics webpage to get information about the sports that begin in August and September.
School Photos/ID Cards
This week, we will be welcoming students into Dr. E.P. Scarlett to their pictures taken by Lifetouch. These pictures will be used for their Dr. E.P. Scarlett 2021-2022 Identification Card and for the yearbook published at the end of the school year. With student health and safety at the forefront, please review the following information in preparation for picture day next week.
- Before leaving home, students must self-screen for symptoms of COVID-19 (Please use the attached Alberta Health Daily COVID Checklist). If students have answered “YES” to any of the questions on the checklist, they ARE NOT ALLOWED to enter the school).
- It is a requirement that students wear a protective mask inside the school. Students should practice physical distancing (staying 2 meters away from other people) while lining up for pictures.
- When students arrive at the school, they will enter through the main entrance and use the provided sanitizer to clean their hands. Pictures will be taken in the Auxiliary Gym. Once inside the school, students will follow directions to make their way to the Aux Gym (see attached map).
- Upon completion of having their pictures taken, students will immediately leave the school through exit doors located between the Main Gym and the Aux Gym. Students are to immediately go home and not loiter on school property.
- Students are strongly encouraged to follow the schedule below when coming to school for pictures to minimize the number of students in the building during these days. The schedule has been broken up alphabetically using students’ last names.
Grade 12 Students (Tuesday, August 24th)
- 8:30 – 9:30 – ABIOLA-OSENI to DELESELEUC
- 9:30 – 10:30 – DENG to JONES
- 10:30 – 11:30 – JONG to MOGENSEN
- 12:15 – 1:15 – MONAGHAN to SINHA
- 1:15 – 2:15 – SMITH to ZULUAGA
Grade 11 Students (Wednesday, August 25th)
- 8:30 – 9:30 – ABDULLAH-LAFTA to DAWSON
- 9:30 –10:30 – DE LA TORRE to IRVING
- 10:30 – 11:30 – ISLES to MERCHANT
- 12:15 – 1:15 – MILLER to SENJALIYA
- 1:15 – 2:15 – SERRANO to ZUIDHOF
Grade 10 Students (Thursday, August 26th)
- 8:30 – 9:30 – ABU-AWAD to DAUZ
- 9:30 – 10:30 – DAVE to IGNATOV
- 10:30 – 11:30 – ILNYTSKY to MONTGOMERY
- 12:15 – 1:15 – MONTPETIT to SELOUANI
- 1:15 – 2:15 – SHAFI to ZOBACK
(Note: If families have siblings that are in different grades, siblings may attend a single picture day.)
If students are unable or uncomfortable in coming to school next week for photos, Lifetouch will be returning to Dr. E.P. Scarlett on September 15th, 2021 to take photographs of students. Picture retake day is currently scheduled for Monday, October 18th, 2021.
Should you have any questions about Picture Day for students next week, please contact assistant principal Randy Lewis at email@example.com. We look forward to seeing students back at Dr. E.P. Scarlett High School!
Below are a list of forms that are necessary to be filled out and returned to the school in September. Additionally, students will receive a Student Demographic Form on September 1, 2021 that will need to be updated with current information and returned to the school.
Information regarding transportation to and from Dr. E.P. Scarlett can be found on the Calgary Transit homepage.
Maps and schedules for Calgary Transit routes serving Dr. E.P. Scarlett are found here:
Dr. E.P. Scarlett High School Express Bus Routes (Calgary Transit Link)
In order to ride on a Calgary Transit express bus to school and back home, students are required to purchase a regular youth monthly bus pass or a regular bus ticket. See the following link for a few options where to purchase your transit pass or tickets. http://www.calgarytransit.com/fares-passes/where-buy