Dr. E. P. Scarlett is the only school in Alberta offering Advanced Placement® Environmental Science 35. This AP® College Board course is taught by Mrs. McLeod and Mr. Wyton, with the support of other Scarlett science teachers and the U of C’s Biogeoscience Institute.
This is 5 credit science option course, offered only in the first semester and only to grade 12 students.
Both Advanced Placement® and non-AP® students are successful in the class. In our first year 8 students wrote the AP® exam and 7 of them earned university credit for Environmental Science.
This course offers field trips and authentic scientific fieldwork.
- Populations Dynamics
- Land and Water Use (related to: agriculture, forestry, mining, fishing, urban development and global economics)
- Earth Sciences and Soil Science
- Energy resources and consumption
- Global Change
- Biology 20 or AP® Biology – these courses provide students with a necessary background in Ecology
- Mathematics 20-1 or 20-2 – students require a basic mathematics background
- Interest in Environmental Sciences
- Willingness to research and collaborate
- Prepared to participate in field research outdoors
- Students exercise independence in their studies and time management
- Students participate in class discussions and ask questions during lectures
Any questions? Contact