Social Studies 10-1 Pre-AP
This course is focused on “Perspectives on Globalization” and students in this course will engage in expanded:
- explorations of multiple perspectives on the origins of globalization and the local, national and international impacts of globalization on lands, cultures, economies, human rights and quality of life.
- examinations of the relationships among globalization, citizenship and identity to enhance skills for citizenship in a globalizing world.
Social Studies 20-1 Pre-AP
This course enhances the examination of our “Understandings on Nationalism” and students will examine historical and contemporary understandings of nationalism in Canada and the world.
- They will explore the origins of nationalism as well as the impacts of nationalism on individuals and communities in Canada and other locations.
- Examples of nationalism, ultranationalism, supranationalism and internationalism will be examined from multiple perspectives.
- Students will develop personal and civic responses to emergent issues related to nationalism.
- Additionally, students will complete a portion of the concepts of Advanced Placement European History in preparation of Social Studies 30-1 AP.
Social Studies 30-1 AP
In addition to covering the mandated curricular outcomes of Alberta Education's Social Studies 30-1, this exciting course allows students the opportunity to explore the history of Europe in great depth. Students will examine the cultural, diplomatic, economic, intellectual, political and social history of Europe from 1450 to the present. There will also be a focus on how this history relates to today’s world. Topics include the Renaissance, the French Revolution, the Enlightenment, the World Wars, and many more. Skills including historical interpretation, research and document analysis will be incorporated. Students will improve their critical thinking skills and broaden their perspective on the world. Students will demonstrate their knowledge with both multiple choice and written response questions on the AP exam in May.