We take safety and security seriously. It is important that we maintain a safe and caring community so that learning can take place.
Visitors & Volunteers
Our school is a closed campus. All visitors and volunteers must report directly to the main office to sign-in and request permission from the school administration to be in the school. This process helps us know where you are in case of an emergency and allows staff and students to know you have signed-in with the office staff by wearing your volunteer/visitor badge.
In order to ensure school security, all exterior doors will be locked after school commences each day. Anyone who is not a student or school staff member is required to sign-in.
We would like to know who our visitors are in our school. At any time, when a student is out of class, we ask that they are wearing their classroom hall pass to be identified as a Dr. Gladys McKelvie Egbert student.
The CBE policy states that when the principal suspects that a student may have items in their possession at school that may be injurious to themselves or others, such as drugs, alcohol or a weapon, a search of student backpacks, and/or locker may result. Students may also be asked to empty their pockets and remove their shoes. In the event that a search is deemed necessary parents will be contacted by phone and the search documented. (Administrative Regulation 6014)
Fire Drill Procedures
- The fire signal is a loud continuous ring. When students hear this signal, students must evacuate the building in a quick and orderly fashion, and follow the directions of their classroom teachers.
- Proceed to playground field and assemble with your Homeroom in designated areas.
- Students must remain outside until directed to return by the administration after a physical all-clear signal is given by the principal or designate (three short rings of the fire signal). Fire Drills will be held periodically throughout the school year. For this reason, and for general safety, students must wear footwear at all times.
- If a return to the school is not possible, follow directions from administration.
- If we have to evacuate the school during recess or noon hour, proceed to your homeroom location on the playground.
School Resource Officer
The role of the Resource Officer is to provide guidance and act as a legal resource for teachers, students, parents/guardians and the community at large. Part of this role is to encourage communication and greater understanding among young people and the Calgary Police Service.