Attendance Line: 403-777-7060 ext. 1.
If a student is absent:
- Bring a signed note to the office from a parent or guardian stating the date(s) of the absence and the reason(s) for the absence.
- Have a parent or guardian call the attendance line noted above and provide the student’s name and homeroom, the date(s) of the absence and the reason(s) for the absence. It is the student’s responsibility to obtain and complete all work missed while absent and to make arrangements to write tests that may have been missed. These matters should be looked after when the student returns to school.
- Parents and guardians should register for School Messenger so that the school can inform parents of lates and absences by students. Families who go on holidays during the school year are asked to complete an extended absence form. Holidays are not recorded as excused absences according to the Alberta School Act.
Our Attendance Policy
The attendance policy at our school is based on the following principles:
- Regular attendance is the responsibility of the student and parent or guardian.
- The role of the teacher is to encourage full attendance and support this by maintaining an accurate record of student attendance, sharing this information with students and parents/guardians as required and reporting student attendance concerns to administration.
- The administration, with support from teachers, and parents/guardians, is responsible for working with students to resolve critical attendance problems.
Late Arrival / Early Departure
To ensure the most success it is extremely important that students arrive each day on time and prepared to learn. If a student arrives to class after 8:00 a.m. or after 12:36 p.m. they are considered late. Students, who arrive late, need to “check in” at the office and receive a late slip to give to the teacher. If the late is excusable (i.e. they had an appointment, traffic, etc.), a signed and dated note should be presented on arrival or a parent or guardian can phone the office. If a student arrives late and it is not excused, a home call may be made.
Detentions may be assigned as a consequence for unexcused lates. Students should review the our School Bell Schedule to ensure that they are aware of the important times. If a student needs to leave the school prior to dismissal time, a parent or guardian must call the school or send a signed note, and the student must sign out at the main office. Students may not go home during school hours unless a parent/guardian is contacted to provide permission. Students who are absent or late to school during the day may not participate in afternoon or evening programs without permission.
It is recommended that vacations and absences take place during scheduled breaks. Learning activities that take place cannot be replicated when a student is absent, and teachers will not provide extra programming or work during extended breaks.
In the case of prolonged absences of over one week in nature, please contact the school office well in advance. You will receive an “Extended Absence Notice” in which you will need to provide the school with a reason for absence and dates of the extended absence. In the case of vacations, the absence will be entered as “Family Vacation-Unexcused” in the student record.