In order for our students to grow they need to be healthy both physically and mentally. Mental health can be a challenge during the teenage years. We've listed a few resources that parents and students may find useful during stressful times.
Organizations to connect with in times of crisis:
- Kids Help Phone https://kidshelpphone.ca/
- Distress Centre https://www.distresscentre.com/
- Woods Homes https://www.woodshomes.ca/
- Hull Family Services https://www.hullservices.ca/
- Calgary Counselling Centre https://calgarycounselling.com/
- Access Mental Health https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/services/Page11443.aspx
Information on health and wellness including free courses that parents can take:
- Alberta Health Services: This website connects parents with free sessions on a variety of topics including nutrition, ADHD, Autism, drug use, problem solving with children.
- Technology and Safety: Information to help keep your child safe online
General information on health, wellness and mental well-being:
- Teen Mental Health website: Increases understanding of mental health disorders, decreases stigma and helps parents and students with self-efficacy
- Big Brothers, Big Sisters
- Teen Breathe Magazine- Wellness magazine for teens
- Orenda: workshops, courses, summer camps, mentorships
The Orenda team is now offering children, youth and family coaching around issues of self-esteem, bullying, divorce, among other challenging issues. Orenda delivers a unique blend of personal development opportunities incorporating yoga, meditation, and mindfulness activities to enhance youth’s ability to navigate confidently through life and walk their path with purpose.
- Carya Family Support: Nurturing Families with Complex Needs (formerly Child Family Services)