How Can We Help?
In school we have a "How Can We Help" box. In this box students can submit forms for:
- I need help
- I have an idea
- I have a concern
We will look at these weekly and do our best to address each submission. Names are not required, but it is helpful when we are trying to solve a problem. Please be respectful when making a submission.
How Can We Help
Online Learning Supports
Student Services would like to offer some suggestions to support students who struggle with motivation and work completion while working online.
- Movement breaks
- Yoga ball and other flexible seating
- Quite space to work, free of distractions
- Noise cancelling headphones
- Listening to music while working
- Use of timer to schedule breaks
- Printing out a visual schedule/checklist of tasks to complete
- Breaking work into smaller pieces
- Modifying work load
- Use of fidgets while listening to instruction
- Help with time management and academic organization
- Access to reading/voice to text tools ie: Read Write Gold
Below are some web links that may be useful:
Supporting students with online learning
Motivation for online learning
Teen mental health
We have a great student services support team that students and parents can access. Here is some of what they offer:
- Safe place for students to come when they are facing challenges, academic, emotional or whatever they would like to talk about.
- Supports for our exceptional learners or students on Individual Program Plans (IPPs).
- Working with students to help them with coping strategies when they are anxious.
- Support groups for students that have similar needs.
- Working with our English Language Learners.
- Liaising between school and outside communities.
- Supporting teachers to differentiate curriculum.
- Meeting with parents around any concerns they have in regard to their children.
- Helping students with peer interactions.
These are a few things they do at DMC. If you have questions please give them a call.
Dana Thompson email@example.com
Lise Twa firstname.lastname@example.org
Bullying & Relationships
Digital Citizenship & Technology Use
- MediaSmarts.ca - Tips around cell phone use, video games, television, and more
- CommonSenseMedia.org - Recommendations and information for parents around media, apps, and digital tools
- NeedHelpNow.ca - Resources for stopping the spread of harmful images and texts
Health and Wellness