Dr. Martha Cohen Digital Citizenship Policy
As members of the DMCS Digital Citizenship community, all students and teachers are expected to demonstrate respect, responsible behavior and overall good character when using technology and/or engaging in online activities. The use of technology is an integral part of teaching and learning at school. Teachers and students use digital technologies to access information, to communicate ideas, and to demonstrate essential learning.
Students may use their own devices, at their teacher’s discretion, to personalize their learning in the classroom, interfacing through our Wi-Fi. The use of personal devices by students with the guidance of parents and teachers will assist in addressing individual student preferences and needs for learning.
All students are expected to follow school guidelines for Responsible use of Electronic Resources (AR 1062) with both school-owned and student-owned devices.
The following activities are inappropriate for students:
- Use of electronic/digital devices (cell phones, computers, cameras, etc.) in gym change rooms or washrooms at any time.
- Sending or displaying offensive messages or pictures/images
- Using obscene language, harassing, insulting or attacking others
- Any online behaviour that negatively impacts the school environment
- Intentionally damaging computer equipment/school technology, the network or other people’s digital work
- Trespassing into other people’s folders, work, or files
- Intentionally using technology on non-teacher-approved activities
- Using electronic media for plagiarizing
- Modifying backgrounds and/or relocating, deleting or adding applications on shared school technology
- Breaching copyright law and/or failing to follow fair dealing guidelines
- Sharing or distributing digital recordings, audio or visual via the internet or through social networking sites, without written permission from the content creators
- Using cell phones to make calls, texting, engaging in social media activities, or playing games during instructional
- times. (Parents/Guardians who wish to communicate with their children during class time are welcome to call the office).
Cellphones and Personal Digital Devices
Cellphone are are not permitted in classroom, during classroom instruction. Cellphones or other electronic devices are never allowed in gym change rooms or washroom. Consequently, personal calls or texts are not permitted during instructional hours. Parents who wish to communicate with their children during class time should contact the office. Cell phones may be used at lunch time only and for grade 5 and 6 only after they have eaten.
If a student fails to abide by Dr. Martha Cohen’s Acceptable Use Policy, parents/guardians will be notified and the student may receive one or all of the following disciplinary actions.
- Confiscation of Personal Electronic Device
- Immediate and possible revocation of computer privileges (including, but not limited to, student email, D2L, Edmodo, Google Drive, Wi-Fi access and use of school technology)
- Charge to repair or to replace damaged equipment
- It is at the discretion of individual teachers to allow personal electronic devices in the classrooms. Devices can be confiscated at any time if they are deemed to be used inappropriately. For repeated offences, parents may be required to pick up electronic devices from the school and/or students will lose their electronic device privileges.