Each student is encouraged to travel to and from school with a backpack. The regular use of a backpack ensures that laptops, schoolbooks, homework, library books and sharing items are protected from the elements and returned to school and home in good condition.
Care of Personal Property
The school is not responsible for the loss or damage of personal property. Students are advised to leave items of value at home and not share their locker combinations.
Lost & Found
Articles of clothing or other items found in and around the school are deposited in the “Lost and Found” box located on the main floor outside the gym and main hallway doors. Any valuables that are lost or found will be turned into and be available in the office. As many students do not claim their belongings, parents are asked to check the box periodically to claim their child’s possessions. Please assist the school by clearly labeling all items with your child’s name for easier identification. The school does not assume responsibility for any personal property of students. We recommend that items such as money, toys and trading cards not be brought to school. Unclaimed articles are donated to charitable groups throughout the year.
Personal Electronic Devices
Our school has a Digital Citizenship plan and an Acceptable Use Policy that addresses the appropriate use of electronic devices at school.
We certainly encourage active living practices with children such as riding a bicycle to school. Upon arrival at the school and for the safety of all students, cyclists are expected to walk bicycles on school grounds during school hours. When bicycles are brought to school they should be locked in the bicycle rack provided. The school cannot be responsible for bicycles damaged or stolen while they are at school.
- Each student at Dr. Oakley School will have the use of a laptop at school and at home if required for homework. It is important to emphasize with students that the laptops are CBE property and that the privilege of using them comes with responsibility. Please review the guidelines below with your child.
- Students are responsible for their laptops at all time.
- Never leave the laptop unattended.
- Do not leave them in unsupervised areas – learning commons, locker rooms, school grounds, hallways, etc. and always return them to the laptop cart (COW) when not in use.
- Students must adhere to the Digital Citizenship guidelines listed above.
- Parents will be responsible for any loss or damages to the computers that may be incurred.
- Laptops should only be taken home when being used for homework and they should be used in a high traffic area of the house.
- Do not place food or liquids near the laptop.
- Do not expose your laptop to extreme temperatures.
- Screens are very sensitive to excessive pressure or poking.
- Do not place anything in the backpack that may press against the cover of the laptop.
- Do not place anything on the keyboard before closing the lid.
- Close the laptop before moving it.
- Carry and store the laptop in the carry case/backpack provided (fully zipped up).
- Shut down the laptop before placing it in a carrying case or backpack.
- Students are responsible for charging the battery each and every evening so that they are fully charged each morning.
- Report any problems with the laptop to the supervising teacher.
- Report lost or stolen laptops immediately.