Playground supervision begins 15 minutes before school starts (8:20 AM). All busses will wait for supervisors to arrive before dropping the students off. Should parents choose to drive their child to school, students should not be left unsupervised on the school grounds prior to 8:20 AM when supervision begins.
For security purposes, please note that the front door of the school is only open until 9:00 AM on school days. When arriving at the door, you will need to ring the doorbell and identify yourself before gaining entry to the building. For security reasons, all visitors to the school must check in at the main office upon arrival. All visitors will be asked to sign in and wear a visitor tag while in the school building.
Playground Safety Rules
Elementary students are required to stay on the playground during school hours unless they have been signed out by a parent or guardian. Junior High students are able to earn off campus privileges over the noon hour.
- Supervisors are on the playground 15 minutes before school, during the morning recess and during the noon hour. Students are expected to be outdoors at these times.
- Students are asked to come dressed appropriately for the weather.
- The playground is a part of the school and students are expected to use appropriate language and school appropriate behaviour. This includes respecting the games and creations of other people, such as snow castles.
- Students are not allowed to be on any of the Calgary Learning Centre space including the stairs.
- No hockey sticks or lacrosse sticks on the playground unless there has been a pre-arranged game which is supervised by another staff member, other that the ones slated for supervision.
- Ball games that involve hitting students with the ball are not allowed. Physical contact should be limited to elbow and shoulder tagging.
Creative Playground Safety Rules
- Go down the slide not up.
- No tag games.
- No jumping off any playground equipment.
Amphitheatre Safety Rules
- Do not run on the rocks or slide on ice
- Do not jump off the rocks.
- Do not climb on or through trees or swing from the branches.
- Do not climb on picnic tables or fence
- Skateboarding, longboarding and throwing snowballs are not permitted on school property
- Smoking, the use of tobacco products or substitutes inside the school or on school property is prohibited
For safety purposes, the following are not allowed at Dr. Oakley School
- Games involving body contact
- Leaving the school grounds without parental permission and without informing school supervisors
- Playing in the school parking lot or sitting on the parking lot railings
- No violent toys or violence in the form of threats, name-calling, teasing or physical harm
- Throwing rocks, snowballs, or any other object
- Running in the hallways or stairs
- Riding bicycles, scooters, skateboards, heelies or rollerblades on school property