Digital Technology for Learning
The use of technology is an integral part of learning at Dr. Roberta Bondar School. Students use our network and digital learning tools, such as tablets, computers, online applications, and other digital resources regularly to communicate their learning, collaborate with others, and contribute to the learning environment in meaningful and positive ways. Prior to using technology in school, learning expectations are communicated to students. Students agree to the Digital Citizenship guidelines regarding technology use in the school when using the school’s digital resources and/or the network. For more information about this, see Digital Citizenship at the CBE.
Dr. Roberta Bondar School's Admirable Use Policy
At Dr. Roberta Bondar School we ensure the safety of all students by following the three principles of respect when working with educational technology. This will ensure that we are using digital information and technology resources in a responsible way:
1. Respect for Yourself
- Keep your CBE account password and other personal information private
- Tell your teacher if something on an electronic device makes you feel uncomfortable or is inappropriate
- Caring for a personally owned and/or wearable device is the responsibility of the owner
- Use your time wisely when using technology during learning time
2. Respect for Others
- Always communicate respectfully and use appropriate language
- Respect the property and the creative work of others
- Respect the rights of other people – do not record or post anything about others
- Protect and respect the personal information of others
3. Respect for this Place
- Leave all school equipment so that it is ready to be used by others
- Use the school’s technology and online learning environments to support learning and do so in consultation with your teacher
- Report any problems with technology equipment as soon as you see them
- Show care with all technology equipment
Personally Owned Devices
The CBE My Devices Network enables students to access wireless Internet on students’ Personally Owned and/or Wearable Devices that they have brought to school with their parent’s permission. It is not a requirement or expectation that students bring Personally Owned Devices. However, should you wish your child to use their Personally Owned and/or Wearable Device at school to support learning, please be aware of the following:
- Only those students whose families have reviewed, accepted and returned our DRBS Admirable Use Policy will be permitted to use a Personally Owned and/or Wearable Device at school.
- Personally Owned and/or Wearable Devices are to be used only under the direct guidance and supervision of the teacher during teacher approved learning activities. Using a device outside of these times, at recess and/or lunch is not permitted.
- Students are to access the CBE My Devices Network only. Usage of personal data plans is not permitted.
- Students are expected to follow the same Admirable Use Policy when accessing this network.
- The device is the sole responsibility of the student who owns it. The school does not provide tech support nor does the school accept any responsibility for loss, theft or damage of any student's Personally Owned and/or Wearable Devices.
For more information about using Personally Owned Devices on the CBE network, visit the CBE's webpage on Bringing Your Own Device to school.
Procedure for Policy Violation
Depending on the severity of inappropriate use, consequences will be determined by teachers and/or administration. Parents/Guardians will be notified. This Admirable Use Policy complements Calgary Board of Education Administrative Regulation 1062 -‐ Acceptable Use of Electronic Information Resources.