Our School Council
Our mission is to promote a positive learning environment for all associated with Edgemont School through effective communication, participation and support.
The role of the School Council is two-fold:
- To function as an advisor to the School Principal in matters of concern to the school community at large.
- To provide support to the school administration and staff through its activities and the activities of its sanctioned committees.
Meetings are held 7 to 9 times a year (except December & June) at 6:30 PM In Person (some meetings may be online - TBD). Everyone is welcome.
Next Council Meetings:
Nov 23 - ESC and ESPA
Jan 19 - ESC and ESPA
Feb 22 - ESC
Apr 19 - ESC and ESPA
May 17 - ESC
Why Do We Have a School Council?
The objectives of the Edgemont School Council are:
- To strengthen and promote communication and a sense of community between the staff and parents in all matters of our children's education and the school community.
- To initiate and carry out programs designed to enhance the social and educational programs of the school in consultation with administration and staff.
- To provide an opportunity for the school, parents and staff to share information, and to consult and collaborate on school policies and procedures.
- To provide effective communication between parents, school staff and the CBE.
- To provide opportunities for parents to become aware of current educational trends, topics and issues.
- To establish effective committees to ensure that the goals of the school are met and that students receive an optimum educational experience.
- To promote parental involvement with Edgemont School and the educational process.
- To contribute to the Annual Report and School Improvement Plan by completing accountability report on School Council activities to the Principal and CBE.
- To support the school in its efforts to focus teachers’ time and school resources on the essential tasks of teaching and learning.
How Do I Get Involved?
There are many ways to volunteer: by giving your time in the classroom, by going on a field trip, by helping on a committee or being on the School Council Executive.
All parents are members of the Edgemont School Council (ESC) and are invited to attend meetings. We typically have 7-8 meetings during the year, held in the evening at the school. If you want to be more involved in the Edgemont School Council, you can join the Executive. The Executive members attend the council meetings, along with 1-3 additional Executive meetings during the year. The purpose of these additional meetings is to plan the council meetings, and at the end of the year to pass information from the outgoing to incoming members.
Our School Council Members
Chair: Heather DuJohn
Past Chair: Henna Singh
Vice Chairs - ESC: Heather Whelan and Connie Boucher
Treasurer: Kate Schiller
Casino: Margo Weber
Contact the School Council