Parent and Volunteer Involvement
Parental involvement is a vital component of our school. Whether your involvement is through attending School Council meetings or events, helping in the classroom, volunteering for field trips or assisting with classroom preparations at home, all parents are encouraged to volunteer in some way. In addition to helping support the staff in activities, parental involvement sends a message to children that their family places value in their learning.
We value the assistance provided by all volunteers, and welcome all community members to consider volunteering their time at our school. If you know of individuals who would like to volunteer, please contact the office via our Contact Us page, to talk about opportunities.
In addition to providing support within the classroom and school, adequate supervision is required for all activities outside the school. Should there not be adequate volunteers to provide the required student to supervisor ratio, events like
field trips will be cancelled.
Volunteering & Security Clearance
While it is appreciated that many of our volunteers have obtained police clearance in another capacity, these checks must be initiated through the school office and are performed at no charge to our volunteers. It can take several weeks for clearances to be returned from the Calgary Police Service. Once done, the clearance is valid for five years and can be transferred between CBE schools.
To apply for your security clearance, you need to present two pieces of ID at the office. The admin secretary will then issue a letter from the principal that has to be submitted to the Police. Once that is done and the clearance is completed, the volunteer needs to share their clearance with CBE or present their clearance to the principal so the parent is cleared on our system.
Volunteers at Erin Woods School commit to a Code of Ethics. Any volunteer not adhering to the ethical behaviour expected of will no longer have the ability to volunteer. The expectations are:
- Volunteers must notify the principal of any criminal charges at the time the charge is made.
- Volunteers will act professionally while in the school, on trips or communicating with staff and students.
- Volunteers will respect roles and duties of school staff, and will not use the volunteer position to discover information about their child, another child, or a staff member.
- Volunteers will be discreet and will not violate the confidentiality rules of the school or CBE by sharing information about student behaviour or academics at any time in person or online. This is in direct violation of privacy laws governing the school. Confidentiality is of the utmost importance in the school setting in order to ensure that the dignity and worth of the students, parents, volunteers, and school staff is honoured.
- Volunteers will not disclose, communicate, publish, take, alter copy, interfere with, or destroy any information unless specifically authorized to do so by the teacher or the principal.
- Volunteers will refer any discipline issues to the teacher in charge.