Ernest Manning students may choose as part of their high school learning plan to take an Exploratory Program. Exploratory Programs allow students an opportunity to explore career options that could help them decide whether skilled trades are for them. These programs are particularly relevant, as there is an identified and urgent need for skilled trades’ professionals in Alberta. Students who are accepted into the program work with a skilled journeyman -in a state-of-the-art training facility- and are supervised by an CBE teacher. The Exploratory Programs allow students the opportunity to earn work experience credits and workplace certifications; this will help them prepare to apply for their career of choice, as soon as they graduate high school. The programs typically take place during the school year, while the student attends high school. Exploratory Programs allow students to:
- Studying in an area of passion and interest
- Getting a jump start on their career exploration
- Earning high school credits while building confidence and developing skills that will support a successful transition from high school
- Learning about on-going opportunities and gaining experience in an industry learning environment
Setting up for Success:
- Talk to parents, guardians or advocates about the program.
- Understand how these programs and specific courses will fit into your high school schedule and graduation learning plan.
- If you are interested in applying for one of these exploratory opportunities, meet with the Off-Campus Coordinator. Applications for these programs typically are completed in collaboration with the Off-Campus Coordinator.
- You are required to have completed HCS 3000, and in some cases other workplace safety courses, before starting any Exploratory Program. Students are enrolled in these courses through the OCE Coordinator.
- Attend the program information session. Visit the Unique Opportunities page for detailed descriptions, information about our partners, how to apply, and important dates. Ensure that you are able to attend all program dates and commitments for the duration of the program.
For a listing of Exploratory Programs, review the program guide.
For more information about Exploratory programming, contact your school’s
Off-Campus Education Coordinator
Ms. Suzana Dimitrijevic-Dawe at email@example.com