The Work Experience Program provides an opportunity for grades 10, 11 and 12 students to earn high school credits for on-the-job learning in the workplace. Students explore possible career paths, refine a career path they have chosen to pursue, and to develop employability skills and technical skills that will benefit them in the future. Before beginning a Work Experience program, the following procedures must be completed by both Off-Campus Education Coordinator and interested students:
- Meet with the Off-Campus Education Coordinator to discuss program details. Ernest Manning Off-Campus Education Coordinator, Ms. Suzana Dimitrijevic-Dawe in Room 1403.
- Complete HCS3000 (online safety course). Students are enrolled in this course through the OCE Coordinator.
- Complete Off-Campus Education Enrollment Package (various documents). Available from the OCE Coordinator.
- Complete an Off-Campus Education Agreement (contract). This document MUST be signed by the student, employer, parent/guardian (if under the age of 18) and the Off-Campus Education Coordinator.
- Complete a Worksite Registration (final document). OCE Coordinator must approve the worksite. Only employers who provide a safe, positive and caring work environment for the student and meet the requirements of related legislation, regulations, codes and policies will be approved.
How credits are earned?
During Work Experience, students can earn up to 30 credits, 15 credits goes towards their 100 credits for their high school diploma. One credit is earned for every 25 hours of work, with a minimum of 75 hours must be worked -which earns the student 3 credits.
Did you know?
Some Alberta post-secondary institutions accept Work Experience 35 (Grade 12 credits) as a Grade 12 course equivalent for admission. Work experience can also be one of the courses used to apply for the Alexander Rutherford Scholarship.
For more information about Work Experience programming, contact your school’s
Off-Campus Education Coordinator
Ms. Suzana Dimitrijevic-Dawe at email@example.com