Social Studies 20-1 (5 credits)
Prerequisite Recommendation: 65% or greater in Social Studies 10-1
Content: This course examines “Perspectives on Nationalism” and students will explore the complexities of nationalism in Canadian and international contexts.
- They will study the origins of nationalism and the influence of nationalism on regional, international and global relations.
- The infusion of multiple perspectives will allow students to develop understandings of nationalism and how nationalism contributes to the citizenship and identities of peoples in Canada.
Social Studies 20-2 (5 credits)
Prerequisite Recommendation: 50%+ in Social Studies 10-2 or 45% - 65% in Social Studies 10-1. Students with a 45-49% in Social Studies 10-1 may receive retroactive credits for Social 10-2 only upon successful completion of Social Studies 20-2
Content: This course examines “Understandings on Nationalism” and students will examine historical and contemporary understandings of nationalism in Canada and the world.
- They will explore the origins of nationalism as well as the impacts of nationalism on individuals and communities in Canada and other locations.
- Examples of nationalism, ultranationalism, supranationalism and internationalism will be examined from multiple perspectives.
- Students will develop personal and civic responses to emergent issues related to nationalism.