First Day of Classes
Our first day of classes is Tuesday, Sept. 1, 2020 and the school office is open to parents on Thursday, Aug. 27, 2020.
School Start and End Times
Our bell times are:
Monday – Thursday
8:25 AM - 12:24 Periods 1 - 4
12:24 PM - 1:12 PM LUNCH
1:12 PM - 3:08 PM Periods 5 - 6
8:25 AM - 12:15 PM
Staggered Entry Plan
This is for all students during the first week (September 1-4) of school. We are beginning our school year this way to limit the number of students entering the school. The purpose of the plan is:
- To ease the transition of students into school,
- To spend time with smaller groups familiarizing them with our health measures,
- To facilitate physical distancing while teaching the protocols of our health measures,
- To allow each child and accompanying family member to have a successful and memorable “first day of school” drop-off.
- Only students are allowed in the building. Parents who are dropping children off will need to say their goodbyes near designated entrance doors.
- While outside waiting for entry, students, parents, and families must adhere to social distancing.
- Parents/guardians are encouraged to stay in their vehicles if possible.
Our Staggered Entry Plan for the first week for Grade 6-9 Students is as follows:
Tuesday, September 1
- Students in Grade 6 and all PLP students will attend from 8:25 AM – 3:08 PM (lunch 12:24 – 1:12 PM)
Wednesday, September 2
- Students in Grade 7 and all PLP students will attend from 8:25 AM – 3:08 PM (lunch 12:24 – 1:12 PM)
Thursday, September 3
- Students in Grade 8 and all LEAD students will attend from 8:25 AM – 3:08 PM (lunch 12:24 – 1:12 PM)
Friday, September 4
- Students in Grade 9 and all LEAD students will attend from 8:25 AM – 12:15 PM (nutrition break from 10:00 - 10:15 AM)
Tuesday, September 8
ALL students attend from 8:25 AM – 3:08 PM (lunch 12:24 – 1:12 PM)***
On these days, doors to the school will not open until 8:20 AM. If you are dropping children off early, please remind them that they need to social distance from their peers. Students will also be required to wear a mask on their specific re-entry day. Please send your child to school with a mask. If you do not have one, a disposable mask will be provided. All students will be provided with two (2) reusable masks by Alberta Education, but they have not arrived at the school yet and there is no guarantee that they will arrive in time to be distributed to students on their specific re-entry day. All students need to bring is a snack/lunch on this day. Breakfast program and the cafeteria will not be available until September 8, 2020 at the earliest.
Microwaves are not available for student use. Please do not send your child with food that needs to be heated and/or re-heated.
School Supply Lists
School supplies are provided to students at this point. There may be times throughout the year in which students are asked to bring in some supplies. The supplies students do need to bring are: backpack, appropriate gym wear and shoes, and appropriate clothing for the weather.
We are a school that follows the Modified school calendar. View our school's Calendar for upcoming events and dates.
For system calendars, please visit: www.cbe.ab.ca/registration/calendars
Lunchroom supervision is provided for Grade 6 students who remain at the school for lunch. Parents need to identify whether their child is staying for lunch or going home. Grade 6 students must remain in the lunchroom until 12:45 and then they may be outside on school grounds or go to one of the lunchroom offerings.
Grade 7- 9 students are allowed to go off campus for lunch with the expectation they conduct themselves in a manner that represents Ernest Morrow well. They are expected to return to classes on time after lunch.
Our cafeteria will open on August 19.
Please visit our How to Register page for all registration details and registration forms.
Our school office opens on Thursday, Aug. 27, 2020 for registration.
Students at Ernest Morrow School will use Calgary Transit to get to school. The transit routes are direct and all rides are less than 10 minutes to get to school. Calgary Transit works closely with the Calgary Board of Education to ensure a successful ride is experienced by all students. If parents have any questions, please visit the Calgary Board of Education website or call Calgary Transit.