Philosophy at Evergreen School
Kindergarten is the start of an exciting adventure for your child. At Evergreen School, each child is welcomed into the classroom as a unique individual with their own strengths, interests and passions. We are committed to supporting each student in a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment and nurturing their identity as a learner and their role as a citizen in our greater school community.
At Evergreen, we believe the acquisition of knowledge is active and that children learn best when engaged in meaningful learning experiences, working together with their peers. Students will learn through playful approaches to developing early literacy and numeracy skills, building a solid foundation for reading, writing, mental mathematics and problem-solving. They will study and investigate as scientists. They will make observations, ask questions, hypothesize and test their theories. Students will become active, responsible citizens through opportunities to learn about different cultures, understand perspectives and develop awareness of who they are in relation to others in their world. They will grow socially and emotionally as they learn to identify and manage their emotions, set and achieve personal and collective goals, develop healthy relationships, and make responsible and caring decisions. Students’ curiosity, creativity and imagination will thrive through opportunities in the visual arts, music, drama and movement. Given our proximity to Fish Creek Park and our beautiful outdoor learning space, there will be many opportunities for students to learn outside from and with the environment.
We will laugh with your child, problem-solve with them, listen to their stories, amaze in their achievements, nurture their confidence and sense of self and allow space for them to grow as learners in their own unique way.
Please see the Alberta Education Kindergarten at a Glance for more information on programming in Kindergarten.
- Registration Process: Please visit the CBE Registration page for information on how to register.
- Calendar: Evergreen School follows the CBE traditional calendar.
- Program: Our AM program runs from 8:30AM-11:20AM M-TH and the PM program runs from 12:20PM-3:15PM M-TH. AM and PM programs run on alternating Fridays from 8:15AM-11:50AM This should remain the same for the 2023-2024 school year, but may change depending on enrollment numbers.
- Eligibility: Children must be at least five years old as of December 31 to start kindergarten in the fall of that kindergarten year. This means that a four-year old child may start kindergarten if they will turn five on or before December 31 of that kindergarten year.
- Before and After Care: Evergreen School is privileged to house TOPP Kids, a before and after school care program for K-5 students. Please visit their website for more information or call Sarah Klein, the Evergreen Program Coordinator, at (587) 434-7318 for more information.
- AM/PM Placements: We do our best to honour requests, however, there are no guarantees that your child will get the placement requested. We consider a number of factors when designing classes that create the best learning environment for all students. We ask for flexibility and understanding as we work through this process. You will be notified on June 16, 2023 with your child’s placement. Students enrolled in Topp Kids Before and After School Care will be placed in an AM class. We will use a lottery process if there are more requests than spaces for either the AM or PM class.
- Transportation: One-way transportation to school is available for kindergarten children who attend the designated school for their community and live within the established transportation service area. Transportation is provided in the morning to the AM program and after school from the PM program. There is no mid-day transportation offered for either the AM nor PM programs. Please click on this link to access a map with our designation area and walk zone to see if you are eligible for transportation. You can also contact Transportation Services at 403-817-7433 or email email@example.com for more information.
- “Welcome to Kindergarten Orientation”: If you decide to register your child for Kindergarten at Evergreen School, you will receive an invite in early spring to attend our orientation on Thursday, May 25, 2023 from 6:30pm-7:30pm.
- MyCBE Parent Account: Once you have registered your child, you will be able to create a MyCBE Parent Account, which will provide you seamless access to pay fees, fee waivers, transportation registration, noon supervision registration, D2L Parent Access, booking school conferences and the ability to view student progress online.
There are many ways for you to become involved in your child’s education at Evergreen School:
- Follow the classroom Blog
- Talk with your child each day about what they did at school
- Volunteer in the school or on field trips
- Attend our Celebrations of Learning
- Student Learning Conferences
- Attend the Evergreen School Council and Parent
Association meetings by contacting our Council at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Getting Ready for Kindergarten
Starting kindergarten is an exciting adventure full of promise. You can help prepare your child for this important experience in a number of ways. Talking about Evergreen School and helping your child feel excited about their new adventure will make a positive difference. You can also reference our Ideas for Parents guide.
If you have any questions regarding Kindergarten at Evergreen School, please do not hesitate to contact the school at 403-777-6288 or email@example.com.
To view our 2023 Kindergarten Orientation click HERE.