Attendance Line: 403-777-7900 ext. 1.
Arrival and Departure Times
Students should not arrive prior to 8:50 am and should leave the school by 4:00 p.m. Supervision is provided during these hours only. In cases of illness during the school day, students must come to the main office, where they will be taken to the infirmary, where they will go through a screening questionnaire with a staff member. Parents will be called to come and pick up the student as soon as possible after the student has declared that they are unwell.
Students, staff and parents all agree that punctuality is an important element in society. It is a matter of courtesy to your teachers and fellow students to arrive at your classes on time. Occasionally, circumstances can cause a student to be late, but habitual lateness on the part of a student is not acceptable.
If a student arrives to class, late during transition times
the teacher will record them as late in PowerSchool and a phone call will go
home to inform the parents.
- Students arriving late from medical/dental appointments may present an appointment slip from the doctor to the office to receive an admission slip or a parent may also call the office.
- Students arriving late in the morning or afternoon MUST get an admission slip from the office before going to their classes, even when arriving on a late bus.
- Parents who drive their children to school are expected to plan accordingly and have their children at school on time.
- Unexcused late arrival may result in a teacher detention during lunchtime the same/following day. Students that do not attend this consequence may face a temporary home suspension.
- Have their parent/guardian phone the school when an absence occurs explaining the reason for absence.
- Bring a note to the office only if a phone call has not been made.
- Support the CBE requirement that their child attend school regularly and punctually.
- Contact the school, by phone, when their child is absent or follow it up with a note upon his/her return to classes.
- Check your child’s attendance on report cards for any discrepancies.
- Parents will receive a phone call and email in the morning and another in the afternoon only if their child is unexcused for their absence or late.
Students Checking Out
Students wishing to leave the school during the day will be required to check out at the main office by presenting a note which states the reason and time for the checkout. The note should first be shown to the class teacher as permission to leave the class, and then brought to the office. On receipt of the note in the office, the student may sign out. This will avoid us disturbing the class to call a student. Parents must come into the office to sign out their child when their child does not have a note.
If a student needs to leave the classroom, they must write out the time and the reason on the appropriate date in their agenda and have it initialed by the teacher. Students who are out of their classroom without their agenda will be considered absent from their class without permission.
Extended Leaves & Vacations
Longer absences should be discussed with administration. Please consider published dates of final exams when making holiday plans.
- Students must provide the office with a note from their parents indicating the dates and the reason for the proposed absence 5 days prior to the absence.
- The student will be provided with an extended leave form which he/she will be responsible for taking to each of his/her subject teachers and then returned to the office.
- The final decision as to whether the student leaves school becomes the responsibility of the student and his/her parents. Clearly, if the choice is to leave school, the student will be missing instruction and the absence may have an effect on the overall success of the student. Teachers are not required to provide work during absence. It is the student and parent responsibility to complete assignments as required.
- Extended absences are considered non-excused absences by the CBE.