Teachers at Fairview School may use Power School to post grades and D2L (Desire 2 Learn) to post homework and to make assignments available to students. Parents and guardians can log onto Power School at any time to view grades. Teachers will utilize D2L in various ways to supplement their course (according to the needs of students). D2L is not meant to replace in-class learning, nor is it mandatory to school curriculum. For parents to log onto D2L, the student username and password will be required.
Parents should encourage the development of good study habits by checking their child’s D2L every evening. Cheating and plagiarism is a serious academic offense and will be dealt with by the classroom teacher or by Fairview administration.
- Homework is the responsibility of the student.
- Students should ensure that required reading materials are taken home.
- Students should allocate a time and place for homework, free from distractions.
- Homework should be completed by the student within the assigned time frame and returned to school when due.
- When a student misses a class, it is his/her responsibility to inquire about the missed work and complete the work assigned.
- Parents should demonstrate an interest in their children’s homework and monitor their work habits.
- Parents should ensure that students have a time and a place for homework, free from distractions.
- Parents are urged to attend information evenings and parent conferences in order to become aware of the homework and testing schedules in their children’s courses.
- Parents should review their child’s homework. Parents should contact the teacher to discuss their concerns, and ways to help their child.
- Teachers should assign homework in accordance with the homework policy guidelines.
- Teachers must be clear on homework assignments; make sure students have pre-requisite skills; vary and individualize when necessary the types of assignments.
- Teachers should grade homework and/or provide appropriate comments as much as time permits.
- Teachers should review homework in class and discuss problems or questions that students may have.
- Teachers will attempt to contact parents if students are repeatedly not fulfilling their homework responsibilities.
- If Homework or assignments requires students to go outside of the school or home to use resources, (Calgary Public Library, Museums, etc.) the student does so with parental permission and/or supervision. The school is not responsible for supervising this type of activity after school or on weekends.