Fish Creek School adheres to the CBE Administrative Regulation for Standards of Dress and Grooming.
Fish Creek School does not have a formal dress code. We believe that respecting students as individuals is our highest priority. Beginning last year, School Administration began to work with a group of senior students to outline guidelines for dress at Fish Creek School. The guidelines are:
- Dress guidelines apply equally to both male and female students.
- Students are responsible for their own clothing choices.
- No clothing will contain inappropriate (demeaning, swearing, racist) language.
- Clothing must allow for full functionality while at school, including participation in physical activity.
- Clothing must provide adequate coverage. Student examples of clothing with inappropriate coverage include: extremely short shorts, shirts with the sides cut out, or shirts with extreme plunging necklines. Again, the students note that these examples apply to both male and female students.
- Hats are generally not permitted, unless an alternate arrangement has been made with the classroom teacher.
- The classroom teacher will be the primary contact for any discussions about dress.
- Any conversation about dress should respect and honour the student.
All students are expected to remove their outdoor footwear upon entering the building and to change to appropriate indoor footwear. Winter or rubber boots are advised especially for the younger children.
The weather we have in Calgary has caused some very wet and muddy school grounds.
Children are slipping due to these conditions and their clothes are getting extremely wet and muddy. We do have some clothing in the office but would appreciate if parents could send extra socks or pants in children’s back packs so they are able to keep dry.
Please label as many items of clothing and footwear as possible as this will help to prevent a build-up of unclaimed articles.