Attendance Line: 403-272-6665 ext. 1
At Forest Lawn High School, we believe that excellent attendance by our students is directly linked to an overall successful high school experience. The Alberta School Act and the Calgary Board of Education’s Administrative Regulation 6020 – Attendance of Students both reinforce the expectation that students should “attend school regularly and punctually."
Key points of our FLHS attendance policy:
- Teachers are expected to be in periodic contact with their students’ parents.
- Positive reinforcement and strong relationships with students are key to good attendance.
- Meaningful tasks at the beginning of each lesson help to motivate student to attend on time.
- Student attendance is linked to engagement. Students need to be engaged in their course work.
- Consistency is important.
- Flexibility and personalization is essential.
When students are in the building but not in class:
- All students will carry with them their school I.D. with their printed timetables. If staff see students in the hallways they should ask them to see their I.D. card. If students are missing class they should be directed to return to their class.
- If students are released by their teacher during class time the student must carry around a “Blue Lanyard”. Teachers should not release a student without the lanyard.
When students are absent from school the following protocols will be consistently implemented:
- Each day if a student is absent from a class our School Messenger system will call, text and email parents notifying them of the absence.
- After 3 absences in any one course, the teacher will call or email parents and discuss the absences. The teacher will email the administrator and attendance secretary. The attendance secretary will record the email in Activity Tracker.
- After 6 absences in any one course the teacher will phone or email the parent or guardian of the student to discuss the attendance concerns. The teacher will email the administrator and attendance secretary. The attendance secretary will record the email in Activity Tracker.
- After 10 absences in any one course, the attendance secretary and the assistant principal will send an attendance email home to parents and the student’s counselor will be notified. The letter will be copied to Activity Tracker. The assistant principal will arrange a meeting that includes the student and parent/guardian, and perhaps a counselor, to create an “Attendance Improvement Plan” for the student.
- After 15 absences in any one course, the assistant principal may arrange a follow-up meeting with the student, parent and counselor. Options will be reviewed which may include removal from the course, recommendations for alternative programing and/or a home supported leave.
If a student must be away from school for a period of 3 or more days in a row, an “Extended Leave” form (available from the Main Office) is to be completed by parents. Teachers will make comments regarding the leave on the form.