Oki! Tansi! Tawnshi! Hello! Bonjour! I hope this newsletter finds you all well. Here in our Dream Catcher room our students are busy with classes, meeting new friends, learning their way through new subjects and working towards the end of this year. I want to share a couple of exciting family events coming up that we would love to see as many of our Forest Lawn families attend.
CBE Traditional Pow Wow
The CBE sponsored Traditional Pow Wow is on Thursday May 16 at the Genesis Centre. All families are welcome to come watch and/or participate.
Pow Wow info:
- Dance registration from 4 - 6 PM. Registered dancers will receive an honorarium. Please come early – limited space in each category.
- First seven registered drum groups will receive honoraria.
- Master of Ceremonies | Hal Eagletail
- Arena Director | Adrian Goulet
- To register for a vendor table please contact | Janis Weasel Bear firstname.lastname@example.org by May 10, 2019
- Food available for purchase (food trucks and concession). ATM on site.
- Contact Maureen Nielsen for further information | 403-817-7664
View the Pow Wow story on the CBE website.
Indigenous Grad Ceremony
The Calgary Board of Education’s Indigenous Graduation Ceremony for our First Nation, Metis and Inuit students will be held on June 4 at Central Memorial High School. Students are asked to arrive around 4:30 and the Grand Entry starts at 5:30. The Ceremony is followed by a dinner and round dance. Students are able to invite 2 guests and invites will be coming out soon. For more information or if you have not yet RSVP to myself, Nan Balkwill, please do so ASAP.
Indigenous People's Day
This year we will be celebration Aboriginal Day on Thursday June 20 from 4-6:30 in the Jack James field. We are inviting families from Forest Lawn and Jack James High School, along with Ernest Morrow and Ian Baz Jr High to come join in our celebrations. More information will be coming out soon.
For more information on any of these events or any other questions you may have please contact me, Nan Balkwill at 403-272-6665 ext. 2244 or email@example.com.
Nan Balkwill, LL FNMI Grad Coach