Digital Citizenship at Glendale School
"Digital citizenship is an action, something that we need to practice and do every single day. In today's interconnected world, this is our opportunity to put global education into practice to empower others to become change makers, and use technology for good--in local, global and digital communities." - Digital Citizenship Institute, 2022
With teacher permission and supervision, at the Calgary Board of Education students can:
- Use technology
- Have access to the network/Internet
- Print student work
- Use a CBE e-mail account
The following CBE Digital Citizenship Competencies, along with our yearly Digital Citizenship Plan, guide our ongoing work to develop Glendale students' digital literacy:
- Our students are Respectful: “I am respectful and inclusive in my words and actions while online”
- Our students are Informed: “I understand the consequences of spreading misinformation / disrespectful information”
- Our students are Safe: “I know how to be safe online and create safe spaces for others in online communities”
- Our students are Responsible: “I understand how to make responsible decisions in the digital world, and that anything I access, produce and post is part of my digital presence”
Each year, we ask students to commit to the following responsibilities:
Care for Self
- I will keep my CBE account passwords and other personal information confidential.
- I will practice responsible conduct and digital etiquette with technology.
- I will inform my teacher if something on an electronic device makes me feel uncomfortable or is inappropriate.
- I will use electronic information resources in a responsible manner that supports learning and demonstrates care for self.
- If I use my own personal device it is my individual responsibility to care for it.
Care for Others
- I will use appropriate language and communicate respectfully while using electronic devices.
- I will respect the property and the creative work of others.
- I will protect and respect personal information of others.
Care for Our School
- I will use all electronic resources in a responsible manner that does not damage computer systems, data or networks.
- I will leave the school equipment so that it is ready to be used by others.
- I will use electronic equipment in the classroom environment to support learning in consultation with my teacher.
Care for Learning
- I will use technology responsibly and for the purpose of learning.
- I will work with my teacher to decide how technology will be utilized to support my learning.
- I understand that artifacts produced on the computer for learning are expected to be shared as part of my learning.
Glendale School’s Digital Citizenship Policy
Students at Glendale School are expected to be responsible digital citizens who demonstrate care for self, others, this place and their learning through an understanding of personal and civic responsibility. By not demonstrating the above expectations, disciplinary measures may result as outlined in CBE Administrative Regulations 1062 and 6001.