I hope that you all had a safe and happy Thanksgiving and are continuing to enjoy the lovely weather.
I wanted to take a moment to highlight some recent successes at GP Vanier:
- Our grade 9 students, in both English and French, hosted their fellow students from grade 6 to 9 in a “Space Exploration Day”. Students from across the school got to spend time learning from their older peers. Thank you to Miss Scholz and Mr. Park for organizing the day.
- Also, our sports teams have been enjoying a run of success, specifically our girls' teams. Our Girls’ soccer team plays in the quarter-final next week vs. Tom Baines, and our Girls’ volleyball team remains undefeated!
- Finally, a big thank you to Mme Laurelle for organizing our Davison Orchards fundraiser which raised $650 for the school.
Last Friday, staff across the CBE spent time together considering how to infuse reconciliation and Indigenous perspectives into our work in schools. This professional learning day is an invaluable means for teachers to remain current and responsive in their practices. It also aligns with part of the Truth and Reconcilliation Commissions - Call to Actions. Here at GPV, we spent the morning listening to Dr. James Makosis share his perspectives on Residential Schools and the impact this had for generations to come. In the afternoon, teachers were led through a “Walk Around” to examine our school environment and how it responds to the learning we see in school. The day allowed teachers to ask some deep questions, both about their personal and professional wonderings and the opportunity to have these conversations was one of the highlights of the day. If you have a moment this weekend, we are asking families to engage in conversation with their child(ren) around how Indigenous Ways of Knowing are reflected in their learning and in the school environment.
I hope you all enjoy all the weekend has to offer!
Bonne fin de semaine,
Chad Edmonds – Principal GP Vanier
GP Vanier Online Spirit Wear
Hello GP Vanier Families. We have taken our Spirit wear store online!
We had an overwhelming number of families requesting spirit wear at the start of the school year and not enough stock to fulfill all of the orders. We decided it was best to take our spirit wear sales online in order to avoid students missing out when we run out of stock. In addition, our online store allows us to offer more options, such as apparel and accessories. Be sure to check out the store for all the great items available.
· GPV Spirit Wear Store is open for fall orders until October 29, 2022 at 11:59PM
· Spirit Wear Store Link https://gpvanierfall2022.itemorder.com/shop/home/
· Orders are typically completed in 4-5 weeks after the store closes and delivered to the school
· All school store sales are custom made and cannot be returned
· If this order is meant as a gift, please contact us and we will hold the order for parent pick up
· For more information or questions regarding the online spirit wear, please contact Sherri Nickle at firstname.lastname@example.org
Education Plan Frameworks
The CBE Education Plan identifies the goal to create strong student achievement and well-being for lifelong success in the area of Learning Excellence. A key shift in our new Education Plan is the development of frameworks in key areas of focus that are research informed and will endure over time.
The frameworks are aligned with our commitment to student achievement, equity and well-being. Through the system-wide implementation of the frameworks, key outcomes identified in the Education Plan will support our leaders and teachers in the achievement of student success.
Please click the links for more information on the literacy or mathematics frameworks.
Nominate an Exceptional Educator
The Prime Minister's Awards for Teaching Excellence have recognized exceptional elementary and secondary school teachers in all disciplines since 1994, with over 1,700 teachers honoured to date. Teaching Excellence Awards recipients are honoured for their remarkable achievements in education and for their commitment to preparing their students for a digital and innovation-based economy. The Teaching Excellence in STEM Awards celebrate outstanding Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics teachers that help develop the culture of innovation Canada needs today, and in the future.
If you are interested in nominating your child’s teacher please visit: https://pmate-ppmee.ised-isde.canada.ca/site/pm-awards-teaching-excellence-stem/en/nominate-teacher
October 19: Take Me Outside Day
October 24: Outdoor School Meeting for Grade 6 families 6:00pm
October 25: School Council Meeting (AGM) 7:00pm
October 27: School Photo Retakes
October 28: Non-Instruction Day (no school for students)
October 31: Halloween Spirit activity afternoon
November 7-10: Outdoor School Grade 6 - Camp Chief Hector
November 11: Remembrance Day (no school for students)
November 14: Zoo Field Trip homerooms 921 & 922
November 17: Zoo Field Trip homerooms 911&912