English Language Arts
The aim of English Language Arts is: “… to enable each student to understand and appreciate language, and to use it confidently and competently in a variety of situations for communication, personal satisfaction and learning.” This is our goal, and although each teacher will prepare units and choose literature in accordance with personal expertise and student interest in mind, we will all be striving to create competent users of the six language arts strands; listening, speaking, reading, writing, viewing and representing.
Students will be assessed using the following stems:
- Reads to explore, construct and extend understanding
- Writes to develop, organize and express information and ideas
- Manages and evaluates information and ideas
- Constructs meaning and makes connections through speaking
- Constructs meaning and makes connections through listening
- Represents ideas and creates understanding through a variety of media
Students will have the same teacher for Language Arts and Social Studies, called Humanities. Wherever possible and logical, concepts and assignments will be integrated in order to enhance student learning.