Our philosophy in Junior High is to “turn students on” to being physically active. We attempt to give students the will and drive to become life long learners.
Our P.E. program introduces each student to a wide variety of sports and activities throughout the year. Our school also boasts a tremendous interscholastic program with our school teams being very successful. School teams include: cross-country, soccer, volleyball, basketball, wrestling, badminton and track & field.
The P.E. program also offers activity over the noon hour. Intramurals are for everyone. We offer a wide variety of activities that allow students to burn off some energy before heading to their afternoon classes. Students have an opportunity to participate in everything from floor hockey to line dancing. Junior High is an exciting time with many changes. We encourage students to get involved in Junior High. The more they put in the more they will get out!
Students will be assessed using the following stems:
- Performs and refines movement skills
- Cooperates to demonstrate fair play and teamwork
- Explores and applies strategies for leading a healthy, active life
Dress for Physical Education
- For maintaining proper hygiene we do ask our students to change for P.E. They are given a locker (with lock) in the P.E. locker room.
- Proper footwear is also mandatory. Cross trainers are strongly encouraged as a choice when buying new footwear for Phys. Ed. Please avoid any skater shoes, old style Converse shoes with soles that will leave marks on the gym floor or any shoes that are considered “casual” shoes. Injuries happen when footwear does not provide proper support during physical activity.
We do have a school gym strip (t-shirt and shorts) that we strongly encourage students to purchase. The gym strip also doubles as the team uniform for some interscholastic events.
- Each unit is approximately 6 classes in length. Some unit examples are: volleyball, soccer, lacrosse, badminton, survivor, basketball, floor hockey, fitness week, team handball, football, ultimate frisbee, fitness center, outdoor and indoor games and track & field.