We would like to remind parents that Grant MacEwan School is supporting the CBE Administrative Regulation 3047 - Nutrition that has been in effect since Jan. 1, 2012. The CBE supports access to healthy, nutritional food choices for students that are essential to establish an environment that is safe, caring and conductive to effective learning:
- Providing students with the skills, opportunities and encouragement they need to adopt healthy eating patterns
- Providing healthy food and beverage options in school cafeterias, vending machines, stores or canteens, and at special events
- Establishing nutritional procedures that make healthy choices the easy choice
- Ensuring that good nutrition is promoted both in theory and in practice.
Grant MacEwan School Administration and Staff will not support Student Birthday Parties in the classroom, as this is not part of the curriculum. We will acknowledge a child’s birthday and if parents want they may send a nutritious snack (fruit or vegetables) only after they have contacted the classroom teacher and made appropriate arrangements for a time that will not disrupt the regular routine in the classroom. Parents are asked not to send cakes/cookies/cupcakes etc., as they will be sent back home.
Alberta Health Services (AHS)
AHS supports our school community by providing nursing services approximately one-half day per week. These services include the following:
- Acting as a support and resource for students and families.
- Providing health information to students, teachers and parents.
- Providing health screening (such as hearing)
- Providing immunization.
- Acting as a resource about the common diseases of children. If you wish to contact our school nurse you can do so by phoning our school office.