Chinese/Mandarin Bilingual Program
Last modified on
Chinese/Mandarin Bilingual Program (K-9)
The Chinese (Mandarin) Bilingual Program provides students with the opportunity to acquire the basic skills for speaking, reading, writing, listening and communicating in both English and Mandarin at a young age. It is a program in which Mandarin and English are used as the languages of instruction, beginning in Kindergarten or Grade 1 and continuing to Grade 9.
- Students entering kindergarten or Grade 1 can register.
Students with previous Mandarin language experience may start the Mandarin Bilingual program at other grade levels. In the case of alternate entry points, the student, parents and principal of the designated school will meet to determine a personalized plan for successful entry.
- Previous Chinese experience is not required and parents do not need to know the language.
Please see Transportation for Alternative Programs for important information. Parents will want to carefully consider the transportation services to and from the alternative program they want to enrol their child in.
Benefits of Learning Mandarin
- Expands the intellect
- Teaches responsible citizenship
- Develops enhanced feelings of self-esteem due to pride in having acquired a tangible skill
- Strengthens English literacy skills
- Encourages the joy of lifelong learning
- Promotes exploration, understanding and appreciation of the cultures of the Mandarin-speaking world and contributes to multilingualism and multiculturalism
- Allows students to compete internationally
- Provides students with more choices for advanced education and career options
- Broadens students' cultural life through access to literature, art, music and theatre in another language
Benefits of Chinese (Mandarin) Program
- In elementary, a 50/50 split, and in Grades 7-9, a 30 per cent split in instructional time between English and Mandarin allows students to build fluency in both languages. Children learn to understand and respond appropriately in Mandarin in a range of everyday situations.
- Students may write the language credentialing exam.
Languages of Instruction
From K to grade 6:
- Chinese Language Arts is taught in Mandarin
- Simplified Chinese script is taught beginning in Kindergarten
- The Han Yu Pin Yin pronunciation system is taught to accelerate the process of learning to read in Chinese
- Math is taught in Mandarin
- Science is taught in Mandarin
- English Language Arts is taught in English
- All remaining subjects are taught in Mandarin or English or bilingually as determined by schools
From 7 to 9:
- Chinese Language Arts and Math are taught in Mandarin
- All remaining subjects are taught in English
How to Register
Please take your completed registration package to your designated school after you have attended the parent information session. Please refer to this school’s website for parent information session details.
For families that are new to the CBE and not Canadian citizens, please note you must first attend the Kingsland Reception Centre for an initial assessment prior to registering for an Alternative Program.
- Registration for 2020-21 begins January 2020
- Refer to designated school’s website for parent information session. Attend parent information session and/or view informational presentation.
- Complete registration package and take to designated school.
- Packages will be accepted starting Jan. 14, 2020.
- Packages must be received by Feb. 12, 2020 at noon.