Haultain Memorial Belief Statements
- A climate of mutual trust and respect among all staff and students promotes learning in a safe environment.
- High academic and personal standards yield high levels of personal achievement.
- Children can develop responsibility for their own learning and behaviour enabling them to do their best to meet success.
- Meaningful learning opportunities should be provided in a variety of ways to suit varying ability levels and preferred learning strengths.
- The learning community includes students, staff members, parents/guardians and outside agencies working to support one another through well defined decision processes.
- Embrace students' differences, promote their strengths, leadership skills and develop areas for growth.
- Each student is unique and should have an equal opportunity to learn and to develop.
- Celebrating the success of all learners is important for fostering and nurturing inner pride.
- Decisions are made collaboratively among the learning community.
Statement of Purpose
Haultain Memorial School, in partnership with the family and community, will utilize all available resources to provide our children with a safe, caring, and nurturing learning environment. Through our combined efforts, each child will have the opportunity to develop social, emotional, physical, and academic skills and attitudes in order that he/she can become the best that they can be.
As a school within the Calgary Board of Education, Haultain Memorial School is a part of the dynamic learning community of choice. We provide quality learning opportunities and options. Our learners take ownership by discovering and developing their potential, passions and gifts. They take their place as lifelong learners and make a significant contribution within a complex, changing world.
"Educating Tomorrow's Citizens Today"
To promote the development of all students in a caring environment of responsibility and respect through meaningful learning experiences, quality work and citizenship for all students.
Haultain Memorial School History
Haultain Memorial School opened in 1981 as a continuing tribute to Sir Frederick William Haultain. Frederick Haultain served as Calgary's representative in the first legislative assembly of the North West Territories, elected in 1888. He served as premier of the N.W. T. from 1897-1905. He played the leading role in the struggle for responsible government and raised the Territories from colonial to provincial status within the Dominion.
The original Haultain School was built in 1892 and was located at 2nd Street and 14th Avenue S.W. It was first known as South Ward School, but was renamed Haultain School in 1910 in honour of Sir Frederick Haultain. After serving as an educational facility for 70 years, the building was condemned and considered irreparable for occupancy. The doors of the old school were permanently closed on June 29, 1962.