At Haysboro School we are committed to uncovering student strengths and passions in and through the learning experiences they engage in daily and leveraging these in support of their ongoing progress. Our goal is for students to see themselves as Authors, Mathematicians, Scientists, Artists, Musicians, Athletes, Historians, and Humanitarians etc. living in the field of the disciplines they study. Relationships of mutual respect and trust built between students, staff and families are fundamental in fostering a safe and nurturing learning environment where students can take risks.
At Haysboro School we believe that:
- Students are our greatest resource. Knowing their strengths and areas for growth, their passions and uniqueness and nurturing their social and emotional well-being is of utmost importance. We will celebrate our students’ successes, small and large, encourage them every day and make them feel known and valued,
- All decisions focus first on what meets the needs of the students we serve; all other elements of our decision-making process are secondary to this,
- We are partners in education. Opportunities exist for all members of our learning community to be heard and to contribute to creating the best possible environment for our students,
- Rigorous and relevant learning experiences which ignite students’ passions and require critical thinking are key to helping our students build meaningful connections, develop deep disciplinary knowledge and the attitudes, skills and competencies required for life-long learning and success,
- Student agency and ownership in the learning process is fundamental to developing students who are reflective about how they learn and able to set goals for themselves, monitor their learning towards those goals, revise their strategies when needed and develop awareness of their strengths and areas for growth,
- Fostering positive mental-health and well-being and social-emotional competence is a critical part of our work, and
- Transparent, open and honest communication is key to our success as a learning community.
These beliefs are the foundation of our learning community and school motto:
“Learning to fly…Uncovering Wonder, Igniting Curiosity and Empowering Innovation”
Haysboro School Name
The district of Haysboro and Haysboro School had at one time been a dairy farm owned and operated by the Hays family. Harry Hays began as an auctioneer, then bred cattle, developing an exotic breed on a ranch outside of High River. Mr. Hays had a political career that began as mayor of Calgary followed by federal politics and eventually became a liberal senator. He was known to be quite outspoken and a man of great character.