Attendance Line: 403-777-7420 ext.1.
Every Day Counts
At H.D. Cartwright, and at the Calgary Board of Education, we strongly believe that regular school attendance is an important life skill on the path to graduation and future employment. We know there is a strong positive correlation between attendance and a student’s success in school.
Students are expected to be on time for school and classes and to attend all classes. If the late or absence is unavoidable, the parent is asked to phone the school by 9:00 am or as soon as possible.
- It is the responsibility of parents/guardians to contact the school at the number above if their child is going to be absent for any reason. Provide your child’s name, homeroom and reason for absence and anticipated length of absence. An absence note in advance is also acceptable.
- Any student arriving after 8:20 is considered late and MUST check in at the office before going to class.
- To ensure their safety, students who need to leave the building for a scheduled appointment or due to illness must check out through the office. Parental/guardian permission is given by note, phone call or in person. No student is permitted to leave the school without the consent of the office staff and the parent/guardian.
- When students have medical or dental appointments, are seriously ill or there is a family emergency, their absence or late will be noted as excused, provided we receive a note or a phone call from a parent/guardian.
- Students who are regularly late for class are missing key instruction and should expect to make up the instructional time at lunch or after school.
- Student attendance is monitored regularly. When a pattern of absences becomes apparent to teachers or administration, parents will be contact to arrange to support and improve the attendance issue.
Extended Absences (5 days or more)
- We encourage parents to take family vacations during the natural breaks in the school year as extended absences do have a significant impact on student success. However, we recognize there are times when students will be absent for an extended period of time. Please contact the school office at least one week before the extended absence is to begin. At this time, students will be given an “Extended Absence Form” to complete with teachers/parents and then return to the office. This form outlines student responsibilities regarding missed work.
- If students are leaving the school for periods of time longer than two (2) months, students may be withdrawn and re-enrolled upon their return.