CBE policies state that students should follow standards of dress and grooming as set by the principal, the school’s staff and the school & parent council. We expect student dress and grooming to reflect H. D. Cartwright as a place of work and learning. The criteria for dress/grooming include:
- safety in all activities
- appropriateness for the school environment. (eg. no bare stomachs or bra/spaghetti straps showing, shorts/skirts must reach fingertips with arms extended, no visible underclothing (male or female) or low necklines, no images or expressions deemed inappropriate for a school setting.
- appropriate make-up
- hair that does not represent a hazard in work areas
- no gang-related attire or symbols (such as bandanas, hand gestures or images)
- no hats, toques and hoods worn in the building
- coats, sunglasses and jackets must be left in school lockers during class time
Staff members are required to monitor the appropriateness of student attire. They are given the authority to require any student not meeting dress standards to either change into appropriate attire or their gym strip. If suitable attire is not available, students may be requested to return home to change into suitable clothing before being admitted to class.
There may be special days or events where certain aspects of the dress code could be relaxed. Students will be informed in advance of the event and informed if there is any alteration to the dress expectations for the day/event. In the absence of prior notification, the dress code will be in effect.
Physical Education Dress Requirements
Students must have a separate change of clothing for Physical Education classes: running shoes, socks, t-shirt, shorts or sweatpants. H.D. Cartwright physical education clothing is preferred and is available for purchase (information about purchasing P.E. attire is sent home at the beginning of the school year). It is recommended that every item of clothing be clearly marked with the student’s name. Students who fail to wear appropriate gym strip may be required to wear “loaner” gym strip. Students should also have clothing for outside classes such as sweat pants, sweaters, hats or gloves during inclement weather.