January 13, 2021
Monday, January 11 – 28 – Exams / Tutorials (check exam schedule)
Wednesday, January 27th – Mark Appeals- 8am- 12:00pme (email teachers)
Friday, January 29 – Non-Instructional Day
Monday, February 1 – Semester 2 Starts
Important updates and messages? Be sure you have signed up for SchoolMessenger, please check out this link if you have not…school messenger
January 18 - 28
The courtyard, cafeteria, north and south aux gyms will be available
The updated exam schedule is here. Please check out the link for tips and all other important information.
Diplomas and Final Exams
All students should have reviewed the final exam and school schedule for the month of January. All students must bring photo ID (HWW Student ID, Driver’s License, Passport) and the appropriate supplies to their exams. All examination protocols and rules should be reviewed by the students.
Students are required to wear a mask and utilize proper cleaning and hand sanitizing procedures. Students are encouraged NOT to bring any valuables to their exams.
- Writing the diploma exam is optional
- Students must bring photo ID to their exam
- Students should know their Alberta Student Number (myPass, or use the ASN lookup link: https://learnerregistry.ae.alberta.ca/Home/StartLookup)
- Diploma Exams Part A English and Social Studies
- Quest A+ is the online assessment platform that will be used for the written response portion (part A) for 30 level English and 30 level Social Studies diploma exams. Our computer technician has prepared the computers in the Learning Commons. The use of Quest A+ has been requested by the CBE to prevent the spread of COVID. The link below will help student practice logging in, and navigating the website. Practice exams are also available. https://questaplus.alberta.ca/help/students-and-parents/#what-is-quest
- Students should have practised using Quest A+ prior to their exam
- All other exams are in the main gym
- Non-diploma exams are no jeopardy (ie. cannot lower the student’s mark)
- Students are required to bring photo ID
- Students will be writing in their assigned classroom or lab space (for Social Studies)
To ensure that we have enough textbooks for students in Semester 2, we are asking that students return their textbooks the morning of their final exams.
Non-diploma courses – teachers will be collecting textbooks in their classrooms during the week of January 18 – 22.
Diploma courses – textbooks can be handed into the front office before entering the exam room/gym. If students are not writing their final exam, please bring your textbooks to the front office as soon as possible.
THE REGISTERED APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAM (RAP)
Are you considering a career in the trades? Did you know that Alberta apprenticeship programs cover more than 50 designated trades and occupations, and students can potentially start an apprenticeship while in high school? If you are interested in learning more about trade-related occupations and the opportunity to earn credits, gain experience and get paid, contact Ms. Belliveau at firstname.lastname@example.org. See the RAP section (within the On/Off-Campus Education Opportunities tab) of the Student Services D2L shell for additional information.
SEMESTER TWO TA’S
If you have not been enrolled in the prerequisite safety course or completed your Work Agreement, please email Ms. Belliveau at email@example.com.
The Calgary Fire Cadets is a youth enrichment program that gives students an opportunity to learn what it takes to become a firefighter. Its purpose is to build strong life skills into the lives of the participants by using Fire Department skills and training as a medium. Applications are being accepted as of Jan. 1, 2021. Cadets are eligible for high school credits based on hours spent in the program. Awards and scholarships are available. Visit www.calgary.ca/firecadets. Contact Ms. Belliveau at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
MENTAL HEALTH AND WELLNESS SUPPORTS
We know that the transition to at home learning can pose many challenges for students. Devoting care and attention to mental health and wellness is extremely important during this time. Students may struggle to reach out for support or know where to look for help. The following was sent to all students’ CBE email accounts and is posted on our website. Support is accessible in many different formats.
Contacts and List of Supports HERE.
Post Secondary Information Nights
Sadly, University visits will not be happening in person this year, with many institutions opting for online and virtual tours and presentations. Click here to see our listing of virtual open houses from some of the universities across Canada, many of which require sign up or registration. For more information go to After High School section of our website.
There is a general scholarship tutorial titled Scholarship Presentation Video posted in Student Services D2L shell and on our HWW YouTube Channel which may be accessed via our school website
Please continue checking the scholarship page for monthly opportunities.
Scholarship listings are posted one month in advance.
JAN 2021 and FEB 2021 significant scholarship application instructions now posted (ie Schulich Leader nomination process).
COURSE CHANGES FOR SECOND SEMESTER
Requests for timetable changes, to add or to drop courses for second semester will be made online via an online form. Below you will find a link to the online form to submit your course change request. Please make sure you are aware of the following information before you submit as the guidelines listed will be strictly adhered to:
Please fill out this form to request changes to semester 2 classes. Please read the following Please read the following guidelines CAREFULLY as you must be aware of these before you make your request.
1. Changes will not be made based on switching specific teachers. Teaching assignments may change right up to the start of semester.
2. All schedules are subject to change.
3. Courses cannot be moved to different periods unless the specific reasons for the request have been discussed in advance with your counsellor or Assistant Principal.
4. The form ensures counsellors receive and review every student's request. You only need to submit one request.
5. Counsellors will contact you only if there are questions regarding your request. Please be patient and check PowerSchool often in January for changes made to your schedule.
5. If your counsellor needs to see or talk to you to discuss timetable about programming concerns, you may see a "See Counsellor" appear on your schedule.
6. Use this form only to communicate timetable requests - do not email your counsellor separately to make a separate request. HWW Semester 2 Course change Request Form