Attendance Line: 403-253-2261 (ext. 1)
We believe that regular and punctual attendance is essential to student success. The Attendance Policy at Henry Wise Wood is based on the following principles:
- Regular attendance is the responsibility of the student and parent/guardian.
- The role of the teacher is to encourage full attendance and support this by:
- The administration, with support from teachers, counsellors and parents/guardians, is responsible to work with students to resolve patterns of attendance that impact student success.
- Improve student attendance to support increased student achievement and success
- Activate teacher discretion by balancing flexibility with a clear guideline based structure
- Build on our existing policies
When attendance impacts student success, the following will occur:
- Teacher: speaks with student, communicates with other teachers, communicates with parent/guardian (phone call, email)
- Assistant Principal, Counsellor meet with student and/or parent to create a support plan
- The support plan may include Student Learning Team Meeting, Wise Time, Test Centre, Attendance meetings
- Support plan will be shared with the Learning Team (teachers, parents/guardians, student)
Students are responsible for work, assignments, quizzes missed during their absence. Students participating on a field trip are expected to plan accordingly and are responsible for any work missed in other classes. Final exams are only available during secured exam sessions. A missed exam can be written in the next secured exam session.
When a student:
- Leaves during the day- students must sign out at the Main Office. Contact with parent or guardian is required
- Is absent or late call the attendance line at 253-2261 (ext. 1)
- Is absent for an exam-parent contacts the teacher before the test or on the day of absence
Extended Absences (3- 5 consecutive school days):
Extended Absences from school may jeopardize student achievement. Students and parents are asked to fill out a form notifying the school of any extended absence. This form is available from the main office.