Attendance Line: 403-253-2261 (ext. 1)
We believe that regular and punctual attendance is essential to student success. The Attendance Policy at Henry Wise Wood is based on the following principles:
- Regular attendance is the responsibility of the student and parent/guardian.
- The role of the teacher is to encourage full attendance and support this by:
- maintaining an accurate record of student attendance
- sharing this information with students, and parent/guardians as required
- reporting student attendance concerns to administration
- The administration, with support from teachers, counsellors and parents/guardians, is responsible to work with students to resolve patterns of attendance that impact student success.
- Improve student attendance to support increased student achievement and success
- Activate teacher discretion by balancing flexibility with a clear guideline based structure
- Build on our existing policies
- When attendance or punctuality impacts student success, the following will occur:
- Teacher: speaks with student, communicates with other teachers, communicates with parent/guardian (phone call, email)
- If no improvement in attendance or punctuality, then the following will occur:
- Assistant Principal, Counsellor and/or Graduation Coach: meet with student and/or parent to create a support plan
- The support plan may include: Student Learning Team Meeting, Wise Time, Period 5 (after school), Attendance meetings
- Support plan will be shared with the Learning Team (teachers, parents, student)
- If there is still no improvement in attendance or punctuality the following will occur on a case-by-case basis:
- In-school or out-of-school suspensions, school-supported leave, program adjustments
- Work with the student, teacher, and (possibly) others to set clear expectations
- Provide a written summary of the student’s support plan and a plan of action to the teacher(s) and parent
Under the School Act, absences because of unavoidable causes, illness, and limited time for religious holidays celebrated by the family are excused. Students are responsible for work, assignments, quizzes missed during their absence. Students participating on a field trip (excused absence) are expected to plan accordingly and are responsible for any work missed in other classes.
When a student:
- Leaves during the day-student must sign out at the Main Office. Contact with parent or guardian is required
- Is absent or late call the attendance line at 253-2261 (ext. 1)
- Is absent for an exam-parent contacts the teacher before the test or on the day of absence
Extended Absences (3-5 or more consecutive school days)
Extended Absences from school may jeopardize student achievement. Students and parents are asked to fill out a form notifying the school of any extended absence. This form is available from the main office.